smart bone dials

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: smart bone dials

Post by Greenlaw »

While I do appreciate what Smart Bone Dials are, I too expected something visually different when I first heard about them, but I thought it would be more like a value display near the bone that updated as you turned the bone--the value could be related to whatever the bone was controlling (distance, degrees, 0-1, 0-100%, rgb, etc.) or the rotation value of the dial itself. I would find this immediate feedback helpful in some situations.

No biggie though--the Create Smart Bone Dial command is a great workflow enhancement and I'm glad we have it now.

G.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

"tah-mot-toe" "ta-may-toe" :roll:

Here's a solution:

And the ASP zipped file:
http://www.crtoons.com/asp_renders/dial ... e.anme.zip

(or we could just call 'em Lever-dials and be done with it! :lol: )
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Now that's a dial! :lol:
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Maybe call them "smartinfinicycleactionleverbonesdials" . . . kinda just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? :)
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Ronbo wrote:Maybe call them "smartinfinicycleactionleverbonesdials" . . . kinda just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? :)
I am partial to thingamajigs, myself. 8)
I would've suggested "Thingies" -- but that's the name of my (coming after my book) comic album series.
Or "nukeitfromorbitit'stheonlywaytobesure" ?
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
Undiscovered

Post by Undiscovered »

Greenlaw wrote:While I do appreciate what Smart Bone Dials are, I too expected something visually different when I first heard about them, but I thought it would be more like a value display near the bone that updated as you turned the bone--the value could be related to whatever the bone was controlling (distance, degrees, 0-1, 0-100%, rgb, etc.) or the rotation value of the dial itself. I would find this immediate feedback helpful in some situations.

No biggie though--the Create Smart Bone Dial command is a great workflow enhancement and I'm glad we have it now.

G.

I noticed that when you turn a smart bone dial with the Transform bone tool the angle number (above on top tool bar) is adjusted accordingly to let you know where you are in degrees. This can be handy when you want to enter numbers manually or for reference to see where exactly you are.

(Turn the dial and look at the top tool bar for the angle number.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, this does work and it requires that you switch to the transform tool--I've used this feature from time to time but thanks for pointing it out.

But what I was hoping for was a constant 'readout' near the bone that displayed a value (like an HUD) and that value could be set to whatever you needed it to be, not just the rotational angle of the selected bone dial. Anyway, realistically speaking this would be a convenience feature and probably not terribly important most of the time.

There are other things I'd prefer to see added before that--but I should first take a look at everything that's new in 10 before making further requests. :D

G.