My first real painting in nearly 10 years...

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

My first real painting in nearly 10 years...

Post by heyvern »

I volunteered to do a portrait of my brother with a big rabbit for the play "Harvey" he is starring in down in Virginia.

Needless to say not having the ability to "undo" mistakes is scary... very frightening.

Took about two weeks, although I didn't get into the "zone" until the end of the second week.

Click the image for a HUGE version.

-vern
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

That's really very impressive work, thank you for sharing. I do some stage acting, and I've always wanted to play that role, I really like it. :)

What medium did you use?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It's acrylic on canvas.

I wanted to use oils but I didn't have time for drying. I liked being able to do the "layering" with a very short drying time.

I am more use to watercolors and gauche than either acrylics or oils to be honest.

-vern
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

I tried oils years and years ago, but I didn't have the patience for it. I had a little more luck with acrylics, but I never really found a home for my creative expression until I was able to use computers for my art work. As you say, not being able to make changes is a real problem, at least for me. :lol:
Touched

Post by Touched »

Vern, you're a man of many skills. I'm impressed.

I've always wanted to play the role of Harvey myself. But only if he's actually invisible throughout the play. :-) Well, I did play the role of Mr Ogilby in some play I can't remember the name of, who was invisible until the 3rd act (I wasn't actually on stage until then).
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

Touched wrote:Well, I did play the role of Mr Ogilby in some play I can't remember the name of, who was invisible until the 3rd act (I wasn't actually on stage until then).
I think that might be "The Bats in the Belfry", about four witches who become the caretaker to a cat-turned human.
Touched

Post by Touched »

That was it! Thanks for the reminder.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Nicely done, Vern. Especially good job with the bunny hair.

Your brother resembles Kevin Spacey, huh?

So you gonna keep up with the natural media?

I've been trying to get back to the old skool too. It's hard to go cold turkey w/o the computer's help. :oops:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I would like to keep painting but it's so hard.

For instance, I have the photo of this painting in Photoshop and couldn't resist shifting the color of the background.

I came up with a gorgeous purple/red that worked better than the blue. Then I tweaked the flesh tones... etc etc. (this photo is "untouched")

That is what the computer has done. It has let the genie out of the bottle. Once you have that kind of power and control it is very hard to go back. Before, when it wasn't possible to do that type of color shifting it wasn't a problem. Now that you know what is possible it becomes almost a frustrating annoyance in the back of your head: "If this were on the computer I could fix the skin tone with a few clicks of the mouse."

Ultimately though... the final product has to be enough satisfaction. The other scary thing is "letting it go". That painting is gone now. Off on it's voyage miles and miles away. I have a photo of it but I don't have the physical painting anymore. Kind of sad for me in a strange way...

... okay... it isn't just sad... it kind of freaked me out at first. ;)

By the way here is an updated photo. I did some final tweaks (shirt, suit and signature) of the painting Saturday before it left my possession on Sunday morning. I didn't have an opportunity to photograph it properly (the first photo was shot outdoors in bright sunlight. This one was shot inside with not such great lighting so the colors shifted and it's slightly "blurry" from a slower shutter speed.)

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Vern, definitely you are an artist.
My father went to Barcelona when he was young (I'm talking about 1950 more or less) and there he learned painting art. There he was a pupil of a famous artist of the epoque (you know, during those years the art activity of Spain was very productive). He has mantained his activity painting until his phisical capacity let him to do it. I have a portrait of my self when I was 11 years old (perhaps I'll take a photo and share with you). He always have told me that the most difficult painting thecnique is the watercolor. Once you do a brush touch you cannot correct it. With oils you can always paint avobe the last paint stroke, with watercolor not. You cannot light a color with watercolor it always gets darker. In fact the light is taken from the white of the paper. He always told me that watercolor is the most difficult painting thecnique. He mainly used oils for his paints.

Regards
Genete

PD: By the way, I haven't inherited any drawing skills from him... :(
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Yo vern, what happened to the original painting. Saw it somewhere and liked it now I see the highway pciture.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
cribble

Post by cribble »

yeah same here, i never got to see the newer updated one. cheers.
--Scott
cribble.net
Genete

Post by Genete »

When I wrote the previous post there were an update of the paint and responded to heyvern description...
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Genete wrote:My father went to Barcelona when he was young (I'm talking about 1950 more or less) and there he learned painting art.
Genete, that's a great story. And I agree with your Pop. Back in the day when I used natural media, I found watercolor to be very difficult so I can sympathize with his frustration. Kinda cool that artists 50+ years later still share the same issues.

Best!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

bupaje wrote:Yo vern, what happened to the original painting. Saw it somewhere and liked it now I see the highway pciture.
Uh... not sure what you guys mean... but...

It could have been a result of my web site being down for a few days. I forgot to renew my domain. It's working now.

-vern