auto rig script

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: auto rig script

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not aware of any auto-rigging scripts for Moho. This probably isn't possible for the work I do because the characters I have to rig at my workplace are so unique from project to project. However, if your characters share common body structures and features, all you need is one rig template with placeholder layers for the artwork. Then when you're ready to create a new character just swap out the placeholders with the finished artwork. Done! Any custom 'character specific' features will still need to be set up manually of course, but depending on what you need there may be scripts available that can speed this up.

Years ago, I followed this workflow for a project in development at my workplace, and it was a very fast way to get several rigs completed for characters that shared similar body types. Also, back when I was teaching my child how to use Moho, that's basically what I set up for them. They created their own artwork in their favorite paint program and then then just swapped out the placeholder art in the template. That cut the learning curve down quite a bit so they could start animating sooner.

One thing to be aware of: If you use Custom Styles in templates, and you're importing two different characters that share styles but use different settings, you need to make sure to 'break' these links when you import the rigs by choosing Unlink Shared Styles. Otherwise Moho will get confused about how to render the styles because each character shares the same style IDs. The best way to avoid this issue is to import your character into its own project when you complete the rig and select Unlink Shared Styles. This forces the character in the imported rig to get its own unique Style IDs. Re-save this version of the character as your 'master' file and you shouldn't ever see this issue. (Edit: You'll probably also want to run Delete Unused in your styles window before saving...this will delete the 'duplicate' style with the original style ID from the modified project.)

I ran into this issue back when I created a 'template' cat for Boss Baby, and it took me a while to understand why all my differently styles cats kept importing with the same fur styles. Back then, I think I dug into the files themselves with a text editor to change the Style IDs, but it's a whole lot easier to use the import method to modify your 'master' files as described above.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

By 'template', I just mean a starter project containing a general purpose rig that has placeholder layers for all the artwork. This should be a rig that does most of the things you anticipate your characters will need to do. Then, you just swap out the layers with the final art for each character. Any special character-specific features can be added to the rig. (For example, hair bones, tail bones, a hat, a cape...whatever makes the character different from the other characters in your production.)

The rig template can be very simple or very complex depending on your character designs and how complex want your animations to be. I like to have multiple rig templates for different body types or uses, and these may vary from show to show because the character designs can be so different.

Moho does have a built in 'template' system but that's a general purpose feature and not specifically rig-related. However, you can take advantage of this feature to store your rig template projects so you can call it up when you need to create a new character.

To use it, create your rig template project and save it to the Templates folder in your Custom Content Folder. A quick way to access your Custom Content Folder is to select File >Open Custom Content Folder. Once the project file is saved or moved there, and after Moho is restarted, the file will be available from the File >New from Template menu. When you select the item, it opens as a new 'untitled' project ready to update as a new character.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

I have a generic Face Smartbone Layer that I import once I'm done drawing. It doesn't auto-rig, but it does shave off a fair bit of time finishing the face since I don't have to re-draw the same bones over and over. I haven't had as much luck with a generic body rig yet, but I haven't tried again since 13.5 came out.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I want to update some of my templates now that we have Vitruvian Bones in 13.5.2. This feature opens a lot of new possibilities.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Some "advanced" features shouldn't be attempted until the fundamentals are mastered. A super basic template approach could involve nothing more than importing a simple rig like Crazy Guy from the library and swapping/altering parts. Will it look good? Well, it depends. Animating takes time to learn, but rigging is relatively straightforward.

Be patient with yourself. There are no short cuts in animation.