png image moves a bit when rendered

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JumboCracky

png image moves a bit when rendered

Post by JumboCracky »

I do not understand the point of png images moving around, or any format of images for that matter. My only guess is that it's so that it reduces lag but I don't know. How do I make it so that it doesn't move slightly up-left when rendered?

How it's supposed to look:

How it's rendered:

Look! Now the handle of my pickaxe is chopping my shoulder off my body!

https://www.mediafire.com/?rl16lw4gnhp9arl
EDIT: So sharing the file is suggested. I'm gonna upload it to mediafire so hopefully somebody can see the basic error I made.
Go to frame 1, render, and watch the pickaxe handle bury itself into my shoulder.
Last edited by JumboCracky on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
synthsin75

Re: png image moves a bit when rendered

Post by synthsin75 »

What are the dimensions of the image?
JumboCracky

Post by JumboCracky »

synthsin75 wrote:What are the dimensions of the image?
Uh... how do I check that?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Image dimensions is its size in pixels. "File Info" should give you the numbers.

Have you checked the Z value of that image layer? It should be 0.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
JumboCracky

Post by JumboCracky »

slowtiger wrote:Image dimensions is its size in pixels. "File Info" should give you the numbers.

Have you checked the Z value of that image layer? It should be 0.
I'm lost at the "File Info" part as I can't figure out where that's located. And I looked at the Z and it seems like it has always been 0 from when I add in the png. If you mean scale, I tried to set that to 0 and not only does it not work, but it makes resizing the thing kinda funky.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It may be easier if you can post a link to a file that shows the problem.
JumboCracky

Post by JumboCracky »

synthsin75 wrote:It may be easier if you can post a link to a file that shows the problem.
Alright. I gave it a shot.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I think your problem is that you are using a very small image. Since you didn't provide the one you are using, I searched google for one with that file name. What I found is 150x150, but even with that small of image, the layer in your file is scaled up quite a lot. So I can only assume your image is even smaller than that. Way too small to be using in an animation.
JumboCracky

Post by JumboCracky »

synthsin75 wrote:Yeah, I think your problem is that you are using a very small image. Since you didn't provide the one you are using, I searched google for one with that file name. What I found is 150x150, but even with that small of image, the layer in your file is scaled up quite a lot. So I can only assume your image is even smaller than that. Way too small to be using in an animation.
That is such a downer. So there is no fix for when I use a 16x16 image? I need to edit it so the image is a lot bigger?
EDIT: Actually, I did a work around. I just move the png image slighty to the opposite direction so that when I render it, the pickaxe is actually in the right spot. But thanks for telling me about that.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

It's not a good idea to reduce or blow up images a lot in AS, since outside of, like, 50 times larger or smaller, AS can't be exact enough.

If you really want to use a small pixillated image, before importing to AS prepare it in Photoshop or Gimp like this: let's say the image is 15 x 15 px. Rescale it in PS with the "nearest neighbour" setting to 150 x 150px, or 300 x 300 px, or 600 x 600 px - anything that is a straight multiple. This way you will have sharp outlines on each pixel, and the image can be manipulated in AS much more exactly.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Thanks for posting that information, slowtiger. Posts like yours is why I read random threads. I never know what fascinating arcana I'll unearth.