Copyright Free Photos

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Copyright Free Photos

Post by DK »

Hi.

Can anyone point me to a good source of "FREE" copyright free photos? I am trying to find some old 60's-70's colour photographs to use in a project. I tried joining a few sites but they all promise free photos on subscription then want you to pay.

Thanks
D.K
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Do your searched with "creative commons" or "public domain".
Free is for the shady and greedy...
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Chances are not so good in this case. The movement of "Creative Commons" is very young, and photograhers of the 60's still expected to be paid for their work. So most rights of the images of that time belong to somebody, usually some agency or company (like Getty et.al.)

Do you need a certain period look of the content, or do the images only need to have the colours of that time? In the latter case you could tweak recent images until they look old. In the first case, have a look at archives like Preminger or ubu.net which collect a lot of "abanoned" works and make them available again.
DK

Post by DK »

I am having trouble wth copyright everywhere I turn. I read that even altering an image is a breach of copyright....and even buying stock photos does not allow you complete freedom. I guess the only answer is to go out and take my own photos and get people to sign releases. I thought a lot of older images of the 60's and 70's would now be close to public domain.

Cheers
D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Nope, public domain isn't safe. And copyright is international, but different in each country.

What do you want to do with those pics? If you use them as a whole, you need to get the rights. "Free" as in "nobody holds any rights anymore" are only pics whose creator is dead for 70 years - no chance with pics from 1960.

If you only use parts of it (small parts, like for a collage) you may fall under "fair use" in the US or a similar construction in other countries.
DK

Post by DK »

The pictures are going to be used in a series for TV. The pictures will be the source of the humour, ie, the announcer says "this sale is HOT" and we show a photo of a car burning. The producers like the look of the 60's and 70's retro. I might have to actually compose a lot of these photos myself and then filter them?

D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, that sounds reasonable.
XFracture

Post by XFracture »

Doing a 5 second search on google revealed no less than 5 websites with a metric **** ton of photos in public domain. Provided you don't use anything with a logo in it (photoshop it out) and then photoshop in your flames for your car bit then there you go.

Fair use is a case by case basis. There's no rules of the road when it comes to fair use. There's a standard for judging which goes off of the rule of 4 but it's still case by case with no actual linear guide to go off of. So don't trust any kind of fair use "rules" you see on the internet (i.e. 300 words or less of a copyrighted book is ok to use).

If the object in question is the target of the mockery then you can use any photo you want (again, provided you don't use logo's). A classic pop culture example is Mel Gibson's Braveheart poster in Cartman's room. It's been used in no less than 3 episodes in a VERY bad light for both Braveheart and Mel Gibson. But they get away with it (notice no logo in that poster too). Parody is pretty much the ultimate weapon when it comes to fair use. The cases of fair use being revoked are infitesimal when it was based off of parody. How do you think so many comedy shows get away with what they get away with?

South Park, Daily Show, Colbert, Family Guy, Futurama, Simpsons. Hell, Robot Chicken is completely composed entirely of copyright protected products. Every second of that show is the product of other peoples products but they get away with it because of parody.

Just use your brain and you'll be fine.

Edit:

As an example:

You can have a jpg of a toyota screeching onto the screen uncontrollably (running a joke off of toyota's brake problems) and smashing into something and then catching on fire. When it comes to comedy---questions are rarely raised because of how difficult it is to revoke fair use when it comes to parody/comedy. Music and written works are scrutinized MUCH MUCH more than visual images.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi XFracture.
Thanks so much for that detailed reply. It's extremely handy.

I actually ended up writing to several free photo sharing sites and got written permission from them to use their photos on TV. That took a LOT of stress out of the whole procedure for the network producer. Even so, if I can't use a photo of a person without first getting a release. So I just Frankentein them digitally so they're unrecogniseable.

Cheers
DK