drawing quirk in v6?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

drawing quirk in v6?

Post by basshole »

I've come across another fun stumbling block.

I had a piece of jewelery on a character I decided I wanted to add a gradient to to make it look more metallic. I also drew a little star shaped glint that will quickly sparkle and disappear.

Both of these changes were made after the character was imported into the project and posed quite a ways down the timeline.

As I used to do in 5.6, I went back to frame 0, added my gradient and drew my sparkle. When I go to the frame where the character actually appears and do a single frame render just to make sure everything works right, neither the newly added gradient or the drawn sparkle show up in the render. I can see them in design view, but not when I render the frame. I don't get it. . .the style on the jewelery shows the gradient affect, and I can clearly see the sparkle, but they don't render. I tried turning on and off "animated layer effects" on this layer, to no avail.

What am I missing?
Genete

Post by Genete »

What am I missing?
Post the sample file to let us research the cause? ;)

-G
basshole

Post by basshole »

Ok, I almost understand this.

The sparkle was pilot error. It's so tiny that making edges too soft makes it almost invisible.

The gradient effect has something to do with the way these new FX work in v6. . .if you used bone offset, then when you set up a gradient (in frame 0) and then hit "manipulate bones", which makes my characters snap to a different place on the screen, the gradient doesn't show up. I have to figure out how this works.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Gradients can be animated but they WILL NOT follow the shape.

If you have a gradient on a shape that looks right on frame 1... then you moved or rotated the shape on later frames the gradient will not follow along. This has always been the case with gradients in AS. To get around this, if you can, put the jewelry on it's own LAYER and rotate or translate the LAYER with a bone THEN the gradient and the shape move "as one". The shape points aren't moving on their own, the WHOLE LAYER moves including the gradient.

-vern
basshole

Post by basshole »

Oh. That could be a problem for other things too. Okay, so what if I have it on its own layer, and I do a "bind layer" to one of the bones in the parent layer? Can I still move the character as normal and have it follow? Or do I have to animate the gradient-ed layer separately from the rest of the character no matter what?

Actually, the shape itself is not manipulated separately from the rest of the character. . .it's just part of the clothing, so I move the character with translate bone/translate layer, the clothing moves too. Still no good?