glitch detector?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

glitch detector?

Post by basshole »

I know this a long shot, but since it keeps getting me, I thought I'd ask. Sometimes I get these "glitches" in shapes, weird lines through a shape where it's supposed to be a solid color, always caused by an error (presumably on my part) while drawing the shape in the first place. But they don't show up 'til you render! Furthermore, they don't always show up, sometimes it's when a bone moves a certain way that's connected to that shape. So even when I "proof" each shape while a character's static, I can see errors when I render a movie.

Anyway, wondering if there's anything that can detect when you have a badly drawn connection between points or something. I don't know exactly what it is that causes these errors other than the obvious (don't fill shape when some points are offscreen, etc.)

Thanks.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Are you using AS 6 or 5?

Mike tried to put in more "bad shape" detection in version 6. We were all trying to find as many different ways to create bad shapes as possible... couldn't find them all I'm sure.

However even so... it is possible to create bad shapes AFTER they are created by deleting or connecting points in the wrong place.

The one thing that causes those glitches is attaching and deleting points AFTER a "good" shape is already created. For example if you had a row of "boxes" in a mesh, like a long rectangle with vertical splines connected to split the shape into boxes, you CAN NOT create fill shapes by selecting the entire mesh. You have to either add points between some points or select each 4 points of each box to create separate shapes.

Now supposing you added points so you could select the whole outer mesh or vector and create one fill shape. NOW you DELETE the extra points you added so you could create that shape. You now have a "bad" shape. It may appear correct. It may even render in some cases but it's still bad and might cause problems.

Another thing that can cause bad shapes after creating them correctly is connecting points from other parts of a mesh that also have shapes.

Imagine you had two vector lines and instead of connecting the end of one line to the end of another line you connected near the end of the point of one line and then you deleted the "dangling" point. It looks like a continuous single line but that connection is the end points of two separate lines.

Later on you continue creating your mesh and those two "end points" are part of a fill shape. THEN you connect the end point of some other line to one of those end points. Depending on how the mesh is created and the shapes are created this could cause a render "glitch".

The good thing is you have what is called "shape select" with the point selection tool. Click inside a "bad" shape to see which points are part of the shape to figure out how it went bad.

The ultimate solution would be to have shapes "delete" themselves if they are incorrect or "go bad". Might be harder to do than it sounds. I have no idea.

-vern
basshole

Post by basshole »

I have probably done some or all of those multiple times.

How does this bad shape detection manifest itself in v6? Or did you mean tried and failed to put it in?