Announcing: OS X Batch Renderer

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

Announcing: OS X Batch Renderer

Post by Manu »

I created this little batch renderer. Feel free to download it and let me know what you think.

AS Batch Renderer 0.8

Requirements:
- It's 10.5 only. I can't test it on a PPC, so I'm not too sure what it will do on that platform. I have only tested it with AS Pro 5.6.

Features:
- Can render both files and folders. Simply drag and drop 'm in the list.
- Creates a directory for the finished renders. Each render will sit in a date and time stamped folder.
- Settings will be retained between sessions.

Instructions:
Area 1 is where you drag and drop your .anme files or folders containing .anme files.
When rendering folders, AS Batch Renderer will search through the entire directory of a folder and render every .anme file it sees. It will filter out all files without the .anme extension, so don't be nervous about leaving any non-anme files around. Obviously, every file that's in the directory needs to be looked at = takes up time, so maybe best not to drop your entire HD in the list :P . You can always remove items from the list using the backspace key.
Area 2 is pretty self-explanatory. The settings here apply to all items in the list. You can't have separate settings for individual items in the list.
Area 3 is where you choose the destination folder for rendering. AS Batch Renderer will create its time-stamped subfolders in this location. If you leave the textfield empty, renders will be saved in the same location as the .anme file, which is to say, it will behave the same way as AS' own batch render window.
Area 4 Does exactly what it says on the tin, it renders.

Known Issues/Facts:
- If items appear more than once in the list, they will be renderer multiple times.
- Items can't be re-arranged in the list.
- Once the render process has started, AS Batch Renderer's interface becomes unresponsive. It can't be stopped other than by Force Quitting.
- It assumes that you keep AS in the default location, inside the applications folder.
- You can't use spaces anywhere in the pathname of the destination folder. It's a command-line thing. There's probably other illegal characters.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Some things to look out for:
- Any unexpected behaviour in the user interface.
- How does it deal with large workloads, haven't had the chance to test that.
- How does it perform over a network? I haven't had a chance to test that out. I would recommend caution if you want to test this out.
- Does it do what it says it does? Does the "Anti Aliasing" button indeed switch the anti aliasing on? Or does it work the wrong way around?
- So far I haven't had it crashing on me. But should it happen, please write down exactly what happens. Same of course goes for error messages, which are more likely actually.

Feature Requests:
I'm open for any requests as long as they're reasonable. I'm sort of anticipating two requests, so let me deal with them straight away:
1. I don't own a PC or a Linux machine, so I'm afraid I can't develop for those platforms (and I don't know how to either).
2. Network rendering may also be a bit too ambitious. Believe it or not, this application is really just an Applescript with an interface stuck on it, don't expect it to be able to do really heavy stuff
Last edited by Manu on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

How are you calling the renderer? Is it a command line thing? (If so, I could create something similar for PC folk).
Manu

Post by Manu »

Yup, it's really just a pretty interface for the command line renderer with some added automatic directory creation.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

mkelley wrote:How are you calling the renderer? Is it a command line thing? (If so, I could create something similar for PC folk).
Look on my website for Moren. Although it doesn't do batch.

Looks nice Manu! ;)
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Batch is really what I need for production purposes (and my biggest disappointment in AS 6).

Where are you guys getting the docs on the command line renderer? (I must have missed this somewhere)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

mkelley wrote:Batch is really what I need for production purposes (and my biggest disappointment in AS 6).

Where are you guys getting the docs on the command line renderer? (I must have missed this somewhere)
I actually don't remember right now. But if I find some time, I'll include batch or just release the source.
Manu

Post by Manu »

mkelley wrote:Where are you guys getting the docs on the command line renderer? (I must have missed this somewhere)
Here you are.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Manu wrote:
mkelley wrote:Where are you guys getting the docs on the command line renderer? (I must have missed this somewhere)
Here you are.
Yeppers but verbose still had issues last time I checked.
Manu

Post by Manu »

J. Baker wrote:Yeppers but verbose still had issues last time I checked.
Only on windows AFAIK. Works a treat on OS X.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Thanks, guys.

I'm going to start a new topic about this to ask Mike if anything's changed with AS 6.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Manu wrote:
J. Baker wrote:Yeppers but verbose still had issues last time I checked.
Only on windows AFAIK. Works a treat on OS X.
And also works very well on linux.
I've got a few Nautilus AS-render scripts where I just select the desired scene, right click and choose to render.
The verbose option seems to "choke" a little when using it in anything else than just terminal rendering. In my scripts using zenity the verbose spits out the info in chunks of about 50 frames. Terminal verbose works great though.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Thank you Manu for making this free to use :D
I'm using it on a ppc g5 running osx 10.5 and it's working fine, I had to change the folder name AS6 got installed in though, when installing AS6 it creates a folder with the name "Anime Studio Pro 6" I just took away the "6" and the Batch renderer could find the right path.
I wonder one thing though, if I choose to render to qt, I'm not able to choose codec settings, will the AS Batch renderer take on with the last used settings in qt? or is there another way to do it?

Cheers / Ulrik
Manu

Post by Manu »

I'm afraid that's how it works. AS Batch renderer is just an interface for the command line renderer and the command line renderer always uses the last codec for QT.

As far as renaming the folder, well spotted and my apologies for the inconvenience, the current version has the pathname to the command line renderer hard-coded.