Need help identifying software used to create anime

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

anique

Need help identifying software used to create anime

Post by anique »

Can anyone identify the software used to animate ergo proxy. The type of animation suggests that something like anime studio was used. Here's a screenshot:
Image[/img]
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

You are *never* going to be able to identify the software used to create an image from the image itself -- absolutely impossible. That's like trying to identify the digital camera used to take a picture (you *might* be able to determine a lens, or even the CCD, but never the camera itself).

Some models, like those from Poser, are easy to identify, but even then there is no way of knowing how they are used (like, for example, in 3DS Max).

If you really need to know your only hope is to contact those responsible for the image and ask them (and it may well turn out to be proprietary software and/or a mix of many different programs).
Last edited by mkelley on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Do you have any links to the animation itself. Can't really tell much from a still. That depth of field blur looks like it was done in post though.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Well, a quick search on google took me to the trailer. Its pretty obviously hand-drawn animation. Maybe with cel-shaded 3D elements like so much anime these days.
anique

Post by anique »

I believe that most of it is made using computer software(abt 98%). If we look at the video in slow motion it becomes obvious that the animation isn't hand drawn. It's quiet detailed but i refuse to believe it's hand drawn. In fact most recent anime heavily use tools similar to anime studio.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Well, maybe we're both right. I almost forgot about Retas Stylos HD. Here is a video-tour of the Toei studios where it gets shown.

Yes, it is software, but you will still have to draw frame by frame. So it is hand-drawn animation, but with a Wacom tablet.

Of course, I can't guarantee that this is how they made Ergo Proxy.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It probably isn't done in AS, but most of it could be. The animation of the picture you posted interestingly had debris falling that hides most of the extreme changes in drawing and aiming that shotgun. Could have been switch layers obscured by the debris.

One of these days I'm going to get focused and prove what AS can do.

There is obviously some 3D elements in there.
anique

Post by anique »

synthsin75 wrote:It probably isn't done in AS, but most of it could be. The animation of the picture you posted interestingly had debris falling that hides most of the extreme changes in drawing and aiming that shotgun. Could have been switch layers obscured by the debris.

One of these days I'm going to get focused and prove what AS can do.

There is obviously some 3D elements in there.
Or it could be the type of morph we use in head turns, can't it? This can be a vector drawing can't it?
I'm following naruto shippuden for quiet a while now and i've got to say it's completely AS material.
Look at the image below. I made the right one in anime studio it's completely vector from head upto headband(i'm working on the hair).

A little more detail and it's ergo proxy. When I watch ergo proxy sometimes there are head turns which look as if morphs are used.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Retas Stylos for Animation,Photoshop, a 3D package (Softimage and Maya the most popular), Core Retas / After Effects are popular toolsets.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Patmals wrote:Retas Stylos for Animation
Have you ever used Retas Stylos?
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Have you ever used Retas Stylos?
Hi Manu,

I have. Actually, at the moment I have only Retas Lite debut, which included the older RASTER based Pencilman lite.

Last year Celsys dropped the price of the complete Pro range and packaged it all into one set called RetasStudio. The whole box cost cheaper than one module alone!
I haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet (i am a bit skint at the moment :cry:) but each time i see in the store.. i pick it up and display a sorry face to the missus!

http://www.retasstudio.net

by the way, this has been posted before but here are the demo videos for each module in english.

http://www.celsys.co.jp/en/products/retas/hd/movie.html
jwlane

Ink and Paint: Japan

Post by jwlane »

I saw that Retas was used for one 2001 production at Studio 4C. Does anyone know what 4C and Madhouse 'regularly' use for ink and paint?
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

That first image is definitely a toon shaded 3d image. If I had to guess it would be Cinema4D. There's not many 3d toon shaders that do a nice of a job as the image above. Blender and Hash A:M don't do quite as nice as that. Well it's been a couple of years since I used either of those programs, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I don't think it is 3D. If you watch the video of the actual animation, you can definitely tell that it is separated into separate depth planes, aside from just not looking 3D. :wink:
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

A Philippino documentary about TOEI, and so the language is in Phillipino.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0201489796