Can anyone suggest a good inexpensive scanner?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pozlang

Can anyone suggest a good inexpensive scanner?

Post by pozlang »

I hope this is the right forum for this. Does anyone have one they particularly like?

Thanks!

Poz
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am not familiar with the state of current scanners. My recommendation would be to look for reviews on the web from some kind of consumer report.

Another problem I have had in the past are driver updates. Twice now I have purchased a scanner and the company stopped updating drivers for new operating systems for that specific model. There are "universal" drivers out there but neither of my scanners work with any of them.

Right now I am stuck using my scanner hooked up to an old machine and transferring over the network. This is probably not a common problem but to avoid it you would not want to buy like the first version of a brand new scanner. If it flops... the company stops updating the drivers.

---------
Another trick I've used in the past is to hook up a digital camera to a tripod and "scan" with it. I had an old camera mount from some old fashioned film camera printing equipment. I was able to hook my camera to it pointing down and and "scan" with it. I was even able to get fairly high res transparency scans using a light box this way. A poor mans slide scanner. ;)

-vern
JCook

Post by JCook »

I have an HP All-in-one printer/scanner/copier at home, and it scans very well. You can set the resolution quite high if you need it. It will scan up to 8.5x14 inches. Less than $100. I'm not sure of the model number, but I think it's a 3100 series. They have several different models. I'm very happy with it.

Jack
pozlang

Post by pozlang »

Thanks guys!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

AWN forums had a thread about scanners for traditional animators. Of course, that's not the same as inputting pencil drawings for design, but a real concern of cheap scanners was that they aren't vary color accurate/sensitive, compared to more expensive scanners. Depending on how much scanning you need to do, inking your pencil drawings, because of low fidelity of the scanner can become a real problem. I would certainly test before you buy.