3D for 2D proportion

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SJHooks

3D for 2D proportion

Post by SJHooks »

I've seen this trick before. Using a basic 3D animation, you can make the reference for any anime, thus you can simply make a frame by frame animation (in ASP the vertex drawing option makes the animation look more smooth). Here's the link WARNING: VIDEO MIGHT BE DISTURBING TO SOME: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imr3tVu- ... re=related The 3D was not only used as background, but the character 3D model was used as a model to trace the 2D. You can tell it was frame by frame because when in the video it zooms to a close up, you can stare at the feet and see an animated noise. All the same, the animation demo is pretty good, so for people who have trouble making proportional animation, and frankly 3D movement, this is a handy trick. But on the down side, this style is VERY time consuming, so it's good to use this as practice. If you've seen the pros making anime (http://www.celsys.co.jp/en/products/ret ... s_high.mp4. This is the demo video for the Retas! co-product, Stylos HD (which is made for the actual animating process). The frame by frame animation is drawn by hand, without any reference images, so it would be good to get a used to how 3D and frame by frame feels this way. Cheers.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Cool

I hope you realize that you can import 3d object into AS. And if you keep the poly count down in the object sequence.

This was done with Poser, exported as a mutable obj. files. Imported just as one would import sequence images. Where only one is visible at at time. Then rendered with AS.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dueyftw#p/u/11/8qFAyHDz5Qg

Dale
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Yes, I know of this option :D . My only problem with normal 3D is the outlining of the objects, and with your decision to go about ways, it sounds...complicated to rig, as well as it doesn't give a fairly well reference image. Technically, I've seen in the tutorials, how one could simple rig seperate 3D models into one character, and then animate the character in ASP, but the process sounds much longer and daunting to me, so I'd rather make the animation in another 3D modeling program (to which the one I use also has a skeletal animation function), and then simple using the readily made animation as the reference. Basically what you're proposing is basically the same as mine, except your's adds a different step for the inbetween and animating part, which also leaves the ordering of layers as a hard thing.. Either way, thanks for the tip, I never considered making the 3D animation in ASP, and then using the exported animation as the reference.
chuckly

Post by chuckly »

Nice work hooks :D Thanks for the eye candy.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Yes, I know of this option Very Happy . My only problem with normal 3D is the outlining of the objects, and with your decision to go about ways, it sounds...complicated to rig, as well as it doesn't give a fairly well reference image. Technically, I've seen in the tutorials, how one could simple rig seperate 3D models into one character, and then animate the character in ASP, but the process sounds much longer and daunting to me, so I'd rather make the animation in another 3D modeling program (to which the one I use also has a skeletal animation function), and then simple using the readily made animation as the reference. Basically what you're proposing is basically the same as mine, except your's adds a different step for the inbetween and animating part, which also leaves the ordering of layers as a hard thing.. Either way, thanks for the tip, I never considered making the 3D animation in ASP, and then using the exported animation as the reference.
There was no rigging in ASP for my animation. All the animation was done in Poser.

To do it the same way as you have done, you would export your 3d model in each frame position as an OBJ. file.

Each OBJ. file is place on a different frame in the AS timeline.

Next would be the outline of your reference 3d model done with vector layers in AS, can color at the same time.

Next is moving the vector points for each frame, BUT because of the interpolation of vector points, you can animate on twos, threes, or the next key frame. Saving the frame by frame to the diehards who like to do it the hard way.

The problem with AS is it take some time to learn the drawing tools. They do now work like Flash, Toomboom or any other drawing program.

Last is to export the character animation in to Aftereffects. Composting in AS is just OK, Aftereffects is better.

Dale
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

They do now work like Flash, Toomboom or any other drawing program.
Yeah, that's one of the shames. I'd prefer that drawing style when it comes to certain types of animation.
you can animate on twos, threes, or the next key frame.
I've done that before, as well as layer ordering, to make 3D head turns using vectors in ASP, but the problem with that was that the inbetween layers often made a strange looking effect, so I decided that perfecting frame by frame would be a major advantage when it comes to virtually any type of 2D animation. Thanks for the tip, I haven't tried inbetweening by using a 3D reference, but I guess that's just my paranoya again. I'll try that ASAP.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Quote:
They do now work like Flash, Toomboom or any other drawing program.
Yeah, that's one of the shames. I'd prefer that drawing style when it comes to certain types of animation.
Hey, your not the only one. This forum get lots of questions on why the drawing tools don't seem to work like: Photoshop, Flash or ToonBoom. And the short answer is that Flash and ToonBoom draws two vector lines in parallel with a color fill. AS uses only one vector line that you can change the thickness and color.

When you move a line in Flash or Toonboom you are moving two points and to change the curve you need to work with bezier curve tools. The curve tool in AS is easier to work with. But because of that the drawing, fill and animation tools are different.

Dale