bone rigging a body... what is the best way ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rpc9943

bone rigging a body... what is the best way ?

Post by rpc9943 »

hey there again!

me with my newbie questions... i have seen the character templates they have in anime studio, but i am wondering should i keep everything separate >

-head/torso
-eyes + switch layers for emotion
-eyebrows + switch layers for emotion
-mouth + switch layers for emotion
-L arm
-R arm
-L leg
-R leg

thats how i have it set right now...

am i doing this right?

thanks

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

There is no right or wrong. If it accomplishes what you need then it is right.

:wink:
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

That's how I do it (although I also put all the head parts into a head group layer for turning to the right or left -- it's also linked to the one bone).
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Since I was stupidly slow behind Wes on all these threads I might as well add that my latest blog talks about just this:

www.kelleytoons.com
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

i know what you mean by whatever works- but i was simply inquiring what is the best for all you guys? I have been thinking I want switch layers for the hands and things, so it is best to keep it all separate. thank you all

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, probably best to follow Mike's advice. I don't really use any conventional rigging, so my personal work flow would be hard to follow.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

ok having a rigging woe over here...

everything is set per the user tutorial 3.4 in the manual.

parenting is proper, etc.

for some reason when i move the head bone, it moves the arm switch layers with it, even though the arm switch layers are NOT parented at all to the head layer.

everything else bone's manipulate just fine, if i drag the arm bones, they do not move whatsoever.

is it because the arm vectors are in a switch layer that messes this up?

very confused,
RonC
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Check out layer binding in tutorial 3.1. If you use switch layers within a bone layer, you have to bind them to specific bones.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

thanks again for that... haha how silly of me.

well i am off in a bit to try to pull apart my little character so that he can bend without issues :)

RonC
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

ok if anyone can help... here's the situation:

I have made a template character i am pretty damn happy with... however...

i cant bend the joints as far as I want without constraining them to pretty embarassing limits... the joints either crush the volume of the limb, or the lines twist around and then create a "clear" area in between... i can use pics if you really need them... if any of you can assist me with tips or if you want the direct file (only very trustworthy guys on here pls) you can PM me. i really really appreciate the help so much...

Thank you

RonC
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

god... this is great. i will have to mull through it all... i will hopefully come to a conclusion soon on this :) thanks!!!

RonC
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Ron,

To add my two cents, I use a modified version of Vern's rig to handle this (I'm guessing it's in one of those threads Wes quoted). I have to tweak the vertices just a bit to get it to work as I want, but after that it works perfectly (some day I might explain this on that Kelleytoon site).

The other main way to avoid this issue is to use an arm and leg that is cut into two pieces, kind of a hinged sort of process. I've tried this and hate it -- invariably it doesn't look right to me (then again, I'm not a good artist so it may be I can't construct the pieces properly -- it's far easier for me to draw the arm or leg as one piece).

I *still* think Mike should build this properly into AS -- lots of discussion about this, but the bottom line is he should be able to have some sort of volume maintain ability (like defining a slice point as the bone angle changes). But as to when or if that might happen only he knows.