Depth sorting issue

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SaintMikey

Depth sorting issue

Post by SaintMikey »

I've been following the instructions about layer depth sorting to make a character's hand go from in front of the body to the back. The Z-axis for the layer reads that it is indeed further back than the body, but the playback seems to ignore the settings at the keyframes, and the hand appears either in front or in back the whole time, apparently on the program's whim. It also exports that way. (Incidentally, I did find where the Quicktime download went in my system, and it works fine.)

Under "preferences", the "sort layers by depth" box is checked. In the relevant layer and sublayer menus (they're both bone layers), the "sort by depth" boxes are also checked. So, what's missing from this scenario?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Layer sorting using the "z depth" requires that layer are on the "same level". for instance if you have two bone layers and try to reorder the depth of a layer inside EACH bone layer it won't work. The layer order only works that way inside ONE bone layer. The depth of the TOP bone layers is separate. you can't move a layer out of one bone layer ABOVE another bone layer.

I am guessing this might be the trouble. Just a guess.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Additional info:

Key frame interpolation also has an effect. You must use the "step" key frame interpolation. Any other type will gradually move the layer along the z axis causing it to move over another layer sooner than expected.

-vern
SaintMikey

Post by SaintMikey »

Tried both remedies. I eliminated the extra bone layer of the hand and just made it a whole drawing. (It doesn't need to articulate for this scene anyway.) I also used the "step" interpolation in all the relevant key frames. Still the same problem. Is there something I need to do differently in a bone layer as opposed to a group layer in depth sorting?

If this problem persists, I may end up having to duplicate the lower arm layer, bind it to the same bone, and place it below the torso layer, then just show one layer at a time to get what I want. Obviously, a switch layer won't work for something like this. It wouldn't take too long, but I think it would just add to the file size.

It seems that depth sorting works better with simpler designs, since it works fine in the ASP tutorial. If you or anyone else in this forum can give me another suggestion, I'll definite try it. Otherwise, I really need to move on with my project.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Perhaps a file with an example of your problem will help us sort it out faster than guessing your setup. Usually we can get it working right, or at least be able to tell what exactly the issue may be.

:wink:
SaintMikey

Post by SaintMikey »

Well, my solution worked. Whatever gets the job done, I always say. 8)
SaintMikey

Post by SaintMikey »

Well, synthsin75, since the problem has been eliminated, I can't show this particular problem now. (After all this time wracking my brain on it, I really don't want to revisit it right now!) But I'll take your advice next time a similar problem crops up. Thanks anyway. :wink:
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Dude, if you have AS Pro 5.6 you needn't fiddle with Z-depth. This version of AS has animated layer ordering. Make sure all your layers are in a parent bone or group layer. Then at some stage in the timeline, move your hand in front or behind the body. A keyframe will appear on your bone or group layer for LAYER ORDERING. This way you can move the hand in front and behind the body at any point in the timeline and its layer ordering position within the stack of other layers in the layers window will be recorded. It is great.
SaintMikey

Post by SaintMikey »

AS 5.6, eh? I'm thinking about investing in a new Mac soon. (I really don't appreciate having Windows Vista shoved down my throat!) Once I rebuild my finances, that just may be the first software I buy for it. 8)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

What version do you have now? 5.6 was a free update from 5.5. And I am pretty sure 5.5 was a free update from 5.0. I didn't pay for any update since purchasing the original Moho.

-vern
SaintMikey

Post by SaintMikey »

I upgraded to 5.6 after I read your post. Shopping for bargains online has never been my strongest attribute, but I'm glad I got it. Since it's almost one in the morning as I post this, I'll try it out later. Hopefully this will be my final post on this subject until a different crisis comes along! Thanks for the advice!
arfa

Post by arfa »

I have been working with something similar and wonder at:
> A keyframe will appear on your bone or group layer for LAYER ORDERING.

I am working in a group layer.

Here is a shot of my timeline settings box. Nothing here.

I tried just moving a layer up and... nothing new on the timeline.

I have ver 5.6 ASP
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For some reason you have to scrub/play the timeline for the sort keyframe to show up in the parent layer of the layer sorted. Also you must be on a frame greater than zero. Nothing will show on a vector layer (which is the timeline settings you show). Look at group or bone channel settings.

I usually have my project end set to zero, so it always ends at the last keyframe. Doing this shows the end move even though the keyframe hasn't shown yet.

:wink:
arfa

Post by arfa »

sure... so very obvious when one looks in the right way. I have previously, accidentally moved layers mid-timeline and seen the flicker of movement in the layers window as I scrub through. One less thing to learn :)) - thankyou

BTW - I tried to find the 'Layer Ordering' icon -- for my cheat-sheet but, it eludes me.

cheers - arfa
SaintMikey

Post by SaintMikey »

Okay, new crisis. (sigh) I see the "layer ording" icon in the timeline window, so I move the layer I want over the next layer. No key frame appears on the timeline, no matter how much I scrub. I even tried holding the ALT and/or DEL keys when I move the layer, but it still has no effect. From start to finish, the moved layer is constant on the timeline. On AS 5.6, you're saying that you just move the layer within the parent group or bone layer, and voila, you have the change you need? If only the tutorial for 5.6 would mention something about this.