Use the Split and Quad views? What are they for?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mooncaine

Use the Split and Quad views? What are they for?

Post by mooncaine »

My Anime Studio Pro window has a little selector that choose among four views: 1 full screen, a split screen with two windows, a screen split horizontally instead of vertically, and a quad view with four windows.

What's this for? I tried using it, and I don't see the point. All the views remain identical, on the same frame. If one of the views would show me a different frame, that would make sense, but I can't guess what it's for and I can't find it mentioned in Help.

I can't find a way to look this up in Help. It's not mentioned on the page that covers the Main window, I think.
Last edited by mooncaine on Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9
Genete

Post by Genete »

I have used that view selector to work on two places of a document at the same time with a great zoom on both views. Also it is useful if you have 3D camera enabled. You can have an orbit view in one of them and a orthogonal view in the rest. Then changes are easier.

-G
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Thanks. I was wondering if I was missing some way to make one view show frame 1, and another show frame 360 [or whatever frame].
-=-
OSX 10.4.9
Genete

Post by Genete »

For that you can use onionskin.
-G
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

True enough.
-=-
OSX 10.4.9
scunge

Post by scunge »

This is something I brought up in the feature request section.
viewtopic.php?t=9178

What I don't like about the split view or 4-view setup is how it feels so unfinished and how frustrating it is in the workflow. If you wanted to have a 4-view with a front, top, right and a camera view to help in say finessing a scene with hills and trees it becomes very frustrating.

So you use the translate layer tool to move objects around, some in front, some behind and using the top, right, front, camera views to do so. Now, say you want to switch back to having just the main single view to give yourself more screen space to look at things. Fine, but then when you choose the 4-view again you are faced with four indentical front views, all of the time spent in setting up each of those views, the front, right, top and camera are all gone, ASP doesn't keep those sticky, if you will.

In my posting in the features section, I did a mockup where I would like to see ASP remember the settings you had for each of those views and for a widget to be in the upper left corner of each view to set the parameters of that view. Maybe you want the camera view to be in just wireframe mode, etc.

-Mark