Delays, work and hackers ....

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bupaje

Delays, work and hackers ....

Post by bupaje »

Ok, so I'm bad at making topic subject lines ........

For those who want to be bored by my life ...

The delay on the contest is simply a result of my work situation. I was supposedly out of work several weeks ago but the IRS unexpectedly requested documents and they needed my brain a bit longer. Friday we finished that and I was officially 'gone' again, then I managed to snag a side job creating a web site for one of my former bosses which will give me one more weeks pay. I will finish the contest, I'm just scambling checking out all kinds of jobs and freelance work.

In the meantime I am going on Wednesday to interview and take a test for a game tester position. It doesn't pay well but there is apparently a ton of overtime which will help make up the difference. One of the students who graduated a few montsh before me started as a tester and was able to transfer to the art department as he met people and he applied for an unadvertised position -so worth a try.

Next weekend I meet with an Art Director who is working on a new Saturday morning cartoon. He is related to a friend of mine who mentioned me and he offered to meet me. I'm hoping for a job - don't particularly care if I start as the guy who makes coffee- but even some advice and further contacts won't hurt.

Another Art Director invited me to an event and introduced me to some directors with several animated shows and we were given an invitation to visit some studios - not sure if it will materialize as these are busy people but they say yes and he did forward them links to some varied work I did.

Other than that I have made some contacts for freelance work from lots of places, I'll eventually publish a list just so that anyone else looking might see some sites and industries they haven't considered who hire peope from coloring books, kids card games and so on. Non of these will be enough to live on by itself but might help provide some stability.

Finally I am going to spend this week doing some simple animations to post. I've mostly focused on static art but have toi show this producer that I understand the animation basics.

Now you know some more unimportant facts about me -oh and I need a hair cut and new shoes very badly. ;)

Oh, the 'hackers' part of my subject? Somebody hacked animationblogspot.com and so my art and musings are gone - hopefully they can restore it as I used this site as a one of my references to show some of what I can do.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Genete

Post by Genete »

Don't worry about the contest. It must be a secondary issue in your business. I'm sure all the forum members understand the delay and wishes you the best on your career.

Be patient. Time wil put things in the proper place. Good luck.
Best
Genete
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

The extra time until the contest should give the participants a bit more time to work on their submissions.
"and then Man created god!"
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Some contest news posted in the Contest forum - it's in progress ...

As for the job - yeah! Got my first industry job and will start Thursday! I'll be working at Animax http://www.animaxinteractive.com/ on various Flash projects. I'm looking forward to doing art for a living - how cool is that?!
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Congratulations bupaje -- you deserve it!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Congratulations Burt! all that hard work and now you can go to work!
(hopefully it won't be work but play and the pressure is a different kind)
From my viewpoint it was a great thing to see you pursue your dreams and actually follow through..........to success.
Best of Luck my friend!
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Holy crap, Burt -- that's GREAT!! BIG congrats! It took alot of guts to do what you did - changing careers and all.

Best of luck.
human

Post by human »

What a powerful demo reel--looks like you're working with the best.

Best wishes
Last edited by human on Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Great news bupaje! Congratulations!! :D
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

The support of a few artist communities I am a member of, like this one, have been a great motivator. So thank you for your support, inspiration and encouragment. :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i'm happy for you, bupaje. congratulations.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Thanks! It is a great place to work -except for the two hour drive in the mornings (grumble grumble). Washed away by doing art all day YEAH! :)

Oh, and be sure to check out the Contest Forum for a big suprise!