Moho 13.5.2 update is available!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Moho 13.5.2 update is available!

Post by Greenlaw »

I just looked it up and, yeah, Harmony's Contour Editor is basically a combination of Moho's vector editing tools including the Magnet tool.

(Although, from what I recall from experience, the TBH equivalent of the Magnet tool doesn't work work as easily or smoothly at the one in Moho. This was a few years ago though and I should revisit TBH at work to see if it's still so.)

Generally speaking, it would be nice to see more tools in Moho combined into fewer tools, like how the transform tools were combined to a single tool a while back. I'm glad the Moho is a lot less 'clicky' than it used to be, but there's still room for UI optimization.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Norton also blocks Moho installation on a specific ground, a Heur.AdvML.B virus.
It appears that false positives are frequent and I hope this is the case, but I'd rather be sure before changing my security settings to allow installation.
Thanks a lot for any advice or information on this issue status.
If it's any consolation I went back after installing moho (and running it a couple of times) and took the Heur.AdvML.B Virus definition off the exclusion list and is now included again. I was able to run Moho without any warnings or problems. But, obviously I can't and won't say it's 100% safe. The downloadable file was scanned by Norton and deemed safe as well, it was the actual install that brought up the Virus warning. As for the other warnings (in yellow) I only got those on my laptop not the desktop so I must have changed some settings somewhere along the way but don't remember now. I hope that helps but I can see where someone may still not want to risk it.

Edited: Sorry I didn't mean to repeat actually forgot I posted this already :oops: but I'll leave it... back to all the good news!!!
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Congratulations, pretty amazing update for a small version!

I'm not sure if he is refering to this, but the feature I would love to see the most is getting the stroke width bumps fixed. I mean these bumps:

They are always there when you change the width of the points with the Line Width tool, but they are easier to see when the strokes are big and when the points are close, something that I often need for easy to animate big eyes, one stroke extremities, and other styles, so I'm always fighting with those bumps. I end having to use a filled shape for what only needed to be a clean big stroke, and having to animate much more points. Or using bezier points to be able to make the same strokes with less points so they can be far from each other to reduce the bumps visibility, but bezier points are harder to animate.

I'm super happy with the new team and direction so my faith in Moho is very high (:
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I was trying out the live mesh creation and after enclosing the image I started adding lines and I was wondering how to make this part of the mesh? Then I realized it was called Live for a reason!! Super excited for the ease in creating these meshes. I'm still working on my own comedy series (for the last ten years :cry: ) And starting on episode 3 I use the Monty Python (like) animations using classic paintings for the intro's. It's already alot of work setting it up in photoshop (Corel Photo-paint for me) and then adding the mesh got very tedious this will speed things up and make it fun to create! I also had to re create an animation because I changed the psd file glad to see the update for these as well!

I use the bind points method most often and keeping the color consistent with the bone will really help, especially when zoomed out couldn't always tell if the points were bigger or not I always ended up missing one or two. That's a welcome change.

The soft light (haven't tried it yet) but didn't see too much change in the way it reacted to the layer in the last version so I'm looking forward to seeing the effect.

The new scripts look to be interesting as well.

I don't use it much anyway but browsing through the library starts to slow down and get very laggy.

Although I can think of things I would have liked to have seen I'll wait...to me it's like finishing a painting and people come up and say you should have added a boat or a tree or some more happy little clouds. This one is finished there will be another. Great work! thank you for the update and all your hard work!
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

FYI, the in-application "Check for Updates" is now operational, and it worked fine for me (Mac Big Sur). I waited patiently to test it... and now I can play!
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
mionorz

Post by mionorz »

Thanks for the update!

I'm happy to see more video export formats,
but I can't play them in my browser anymore. I can play them in my video player without any problem,
but in firefox it says "unsupported format or mime type not found". Is it a codec problem?

Is it possible to revert to the same export settings as before? :cry:
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

mionorz wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:09 pm ... but I can't play them in my browser anymore. ...
Good catch, but bad news. Looks like the MP4 encoding is either MP4V ... or ... H265, but not H264. Most browsers appear to have little or no support for MP4V nor H265.

See here for more info: https://imwz.io/mp4-mp4v-browser-issues/
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think Firefox is supposed to support H265 and I believe Chrome needs a plugin to support it. If not, the browser developers really need to get with it, as these codecs are fairly standard these days. :D

IMO, it's probably easier to just host the video on a service like Vimeo or YouTube and embed the link in your browser page. These services support almost any format you upload to them and the movies will certainly play in any modern browser.
arglborps

Wut?!?! ProRes 422 is gone?

Post by arglborps »

I don't want to create monster files for every export! Why is there now only ProRes with alpha channel left?

Would be nice to be able to choose between ProRes 4444 (alpha channels) and ProRes 422 HQ (no alpha) or ProRes 422 to get considerably smaller files when alpha channels aren't needed. Not everyone has endless disk space. I still want to use ProRes, because I don't need to render anything in Final Cut or Motion to use it, but only having 4444 left is overkill most cases where I just want to export a flat video no further compositing elsewhere.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

For compositing, you want a lossless format, and you really don't want to use a format with lossy compression. That would make the edges really chewy and look 'amateurish'.

For compositing, It's best to output to frames in a lossless format with an embedded alpha, and image sequence is generally preferred over video for a variety of reasons. After you're done compositing, you can output to whichever video format you need from the compositing program.
chucky

Post by chucky »

house10 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 am n full of bugs
Yes I remember rage quitting Moho in my first few days.
I feel your distress.
Hang in there, you'll get the knack soon enough.
mionorz

Post by mionorz »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:05 pm
mionorz wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:09 pm ... but I can't play them in my browser anymore. ...
Good catch, but bad news. Looks like the MP4 encoding is either MP4V ... or ... H265, but not H264. Most browsers appear to have little or no support for MP4V nor H265.

See here for more info: https://imwz.io/mp4-mp4v-browser-issues/
Thank you for the information.
Considering that movies created with MOHO can be used with other software and pipelines, I think it is necessary to maintain the same output method as before. I will make a request to the development team.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If it's MP4v, then yeah, it sounds like that's actually H.263, which is a very old codec and deprecated by many browsers.

By now (the article is from 2016,) I would think H.265 should be fine for modern browsers but I can't confirm that.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

Speaking of the MP4 H265 export option, I'm finding that this export setting doesn't seem to actually render the entire project. The scene I just rendered is 72 frames long at 24fps. The MP4 H265 option exports a file that is 2:11 long, while exporting with the MP4 MPEG4 option produces a file that is 3:00. I tried rendering a different scene and got similar results.

Anyone else run into anything like this?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

alanthebox wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 am Speaking of the MP4 H265 export option, I'm finding that this export setting doesn't seem to actually render the entire project. The scene I just rendered is 72 frames long at 24fps. The MP4 H265 option exports a file that is 2:11 long, while exporting with the MP4 MPEG4 option produces a file that is 3:00. I tried rendering a different scene and got similar results.

Anyone else run into anything like this?
Just checked, and yes, 72 frames @24 fps renders a 2 second video with MP4 H265...but it's the same with MPEG4 here. Rendering AVI results in the correct 3 second video.

As far as I can tell, only AVI (on Windows) is rendering the proper framerate. All others output a 2 second video.

EDIT: I've reported it.