MOHO Seem to lag while working

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mrgozvn

MOHO Seem to lag while working

Post by mrgozvn »

forgive my bad grammar in english and if this trouble don't touch to all of you.

I'am using Moho 12.5 for my job everyday. it's very good and smooth in about first 5 - 10 second workflow about 240~300 frames. after that its very very lag. sometime i can't do what i wanna do in workflow.
i also check task manager to see what going on or which cpu, gpu is stress. But none of them use more than 20%. but MOHO still lagg. i really don't understand. i feel this is bug or moho isnt use most of strength cpu,gpu to run.

Anyone get same problem ?

My project has about 5 characters and 2 backgrounds inside. and i normal working about 30 second per project file

My current PC Specs:
CPU : i5 -10400 with 16gb of RAM.
GPU : GTX 1650

i feel its better a bit on my Macbook M1 13'inch. but i feel its so wired.
Greenlaw

Re: MOHO Seem to lag while working

Post by Greenlaw »

Slow performance can depend on a number of things. Here are a few you can check...

The first thing I like to check for is the presence of negative keyframes. Run Synthsin75's Find And Delete Negative Keyframes to see if this is the cause.

The next easy thing to check is the GPU setting. Try disabling or enabling the GPU Acceleration in the Display setting. You might also try disabling different options, like textures or transparency.

Now for some more complicated suggestions...

If you're using bones to deform a lot of extra high-res bitmaps or meshes that are unnecessarily dense, that can slow everything. Consider using lower res images or optimizing the meshes. (When using bitmaps for a character, I'll sometimes I'll make two rigs: one high-res for closeups, and a lower res one for everything else.)

If you're using bones to deform vectors created with the Freehand tool or with another program, make sure the point count isn't excessively high. Optimizing the vectors can also give you better, cleaner deformations. (Typically, I draw all my character vector art using the Add Points tool for the most optimal character art. Also, I like to avoid Bezier for art that will be deformed with bones. It is possible to work with Bezier for deforming characters, but I find it's easier and more predictable to avoid it for this situation.)

Re: multiple rigs: any performance lag is compounded when using multiple character rigs in the same scene, so keep this in mind when designing your rigs.

For the most part, I find Moho is pretty efficient when animating well efficiently rigs.

For example, in Boss Baby: Back In Business, I animated a scene with about 40 fully rigged cats and Moho performed very smoothly. I also setup shots with many dozens of running cats and this went very smoothly too. These were all vector based, and Moho is pretty good about that.

I also animate Moho characters using bitmap art, but many times the rigs are actually a hybrid work of vector art filled with textures. The Puss In Boots Interactive rig seen on Netflix was set up like that. One of my earliest Moho animations for 'Hearts Like Fists' also used hybrid rigs. Moho's interactivity is significantly faster when the rigs are setup this way.

Hope this gives you some ideas for what to check. Let me know if anything helps or if you find out the problem is something else.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

More on multiple rigs: While I haven't had any problems with animating many puppet-rigged characters in a Moho scene, a while back I had problems when doing this in Toon Boom Harmony, and my solution back then may help even in Moho.

In an early Croods episode, I set up about 17 characters in one scene and it was painfully slow to animate them. What I wound up doing was animating and rendering the characters in groups of two or three, in separate scenes files, and then compositing the separate renders. This was a long time ago, and afterwards, I found TBH's speed was significantly improved to accommodate more characters, but this solution is something to keep in mind for any animation program when multiple rigs start to slow down performance.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrgozvn

Post by mrgozvn »

Firstly. i wanna say thank you for you advice. this useful and help me alots.
normaly i had to animate with background invisible. this help me a bit.
maybe character has a lots point vector. i dont like to use bitmap for character rigging.

i just dont understand why moho not using 100% performance CPU and GPU to fix this.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you post an image showing the points? I'm just curious to see if this is the cause. If so, Moho has tools for optimizing the points.

That said, if the drawings are made for bones deformation, it's probably better to create the drawings with the points placed for efficiency and best deformation quality.

For items like static props and backgrounds that don't need to be deformed then it doesn't matter so much, but depending on what you need for your animation, it might be better to render the vector drawing and import it as an image, especially if the drawings are excessively point heavy.
viccho

Post by viccho »

Hi :)
i've search before but i've not found how to laucnh a script in moho. I've downlaod the syn.negative.lua, I don't know where to put it , in the folder structure that moho ask for install script. I've try different location. When i put it in moho/extra files/optional scripts, moho said that isntall was done, but restarting moho and can't find how to run the script.

have a nice day
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Scripts go in the Scripts folder of your Custom Content Folder. You should NOT place them in your Program folder. You want to leave that folder alone as it contains the factory scripts.

You can open the Custom Content Folder from the File menu. When the folder opens, Look for Scripts. Menu scripts go in the Menu folder and Tool scripts go in the Tool folder.

In the Menu folder you'll see multiple categories which correspond to the selections under the menu. If you don't see an appropriate folder, you can create one here. I have a folder called +Special where I keep my third party scripts organized by developer. I use the '+' in the name to force this sub menu to the top.

In the Tool folder scripts and icons co-exist without folders. Tip: if you want to temporarily disable a script, add a folder here and drag the script to this folder. You can call the folder anything you want because Moho will not load the script if it's inside any folder here.

Some advanced scripts come with resource files and these go in ScriptResources.

How to tell which files are tools or menus or rescources? The clue is usually in the folder structure they come with. If the script is a Tool script, it will likely come in a Tool folder, and if it's a Menu script, blah-blah-blah. :)

Some scripts can use the Install Script Command. This is great when it works but sometimes I've had this method change my preferred tool organization (like the MYND tools,) so I prefer to add scripts manually. This is pretty easy to do and not really a big deal once you understand where everything goes.

Now, if the Custom Content Folder command is grayed out that means you never set this folder. (Moho would have asked you to do this the first time you launched it.) If that's the case, you can set it now by opening Preferences from the Edit menu and setting the location of your Custom Content Folder at the bottom of the first page. Choose a folder that will always be accessible to Moho (i.e., not a removeable drive.)

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Important tip about mods...

Some scripts are meant to 'replace' existing tools with modified versions. These should be installed in the Custom Content Folder too. When Moho sees a tool with the same name as a factory tool, it will load the modified version from here instead. This leaves the original version intact, which is important if something is wrong with the mod version and you need to remove or disable it.
viccho

Post by viccho »

thank you for your answer. In fact i've lareday created a custum folder. I put the syn-negative-key.lua in moho/script/tool folder, but next in moho->Scripts->install script menu, i specify a folder where to find the script and it tell's me that there is no script find to install. Could you tell me where should i put the syn-negative script or tell me how install manualy?
thank you
have a nice day
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

This video could help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw1dhpBNEs&t=2s

If you don't have negative keyframes, you can look for corrupted references on your project. See this: viewtopic.php?p=204415#p204415
viccho

Post by viccho »

Thank, i'll watch this today :)
May be my lag is du to the way i managed my project. I've to do a short animation with différent scene. For each scene i create au folder where i import my rigged char and my BG. Next i group my scenes in a switch layer, and then call the scene i need when i want in the timeline. when i've one scene, it's ok, but with 2 or 3 scene in the switch group...wow the lag is incredible. i thought that there was only the current in cache, but it seems that no.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

viccho wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:16 pm[...] Next i group my scenes in a switch layer, and then call the scene i need when i want in the timeline [...]
Yeah don't do this, unless it's absolutely necessary for some reason. Less layers = better performance.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, it's best practice to create a separate project file for each scene in your production, and assemble the rendered scenes with a video editor program. This a typical workflow for almost any animation software.

If you don't have a video editor, here's a free one you can try:

https://shotcut.org/download/

I started evaluating it for a project I'm working on and haven't tested it with Moho output yet, but I think it will work fine for Moho.
viccho

Post by viccho »

thank you all :)