Minimum requirements of (Moho) ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bbrraayyaann

Minimum requirements of (Moho) ?

Post by bbrraayyaann »

Hello friends, I have a question about the requirements for the Moho program, please someone knows.
I currently use Moho pro 12, because in Moho 13 my bone platforms are slower and the program stops a lot.
That's why I would like to know which component Moho uses more when working. If it is the processor, the ram or the graphic card.
Right now I'm thinking of buying one with more capacity and I don't know which component to buy.
If anyone knows please help me.
I currently have
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X with 6 cores
Ram : 16 gb of Ram
Graphics card: LG IPS FULLHD on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
System : Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Daxel

Re: Minimum requirements of (Moho) ?

Post by Daxel »

Your specs are way over the minimum required, so Moho itself is going to be the bottleneck in most situations, not your PC. But I think that we can solve the problems you are having. What Moho version are you using? You said Moho 13, but that version is not supported (it had many problems caused by the previous owners of the program so the new owners had to make 13.5), and the latest version is actually 13.5.1.

A problem that I had and other users have reported too, is that Moho 13.5 and 13.5.1 (maybe 13 too) autosave feature causes crashes. Try disabling it in preferences. It has been very stable for me and others since then.

If you still want to have an autosave for Moho, there is a script made by Wes: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... pt#p199649
If you don't know how to instal scripts, learn here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw1dhpBNEs
bbrraayyaann

Post by bbrraayyaann »

Daxel wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:15 am Your specs are way over the minimum required, so Moho itself is going to be the bottleneck in most situations, not your PC. But I think that we can solve the problems you are having. What Moho version are you using? You said Moho 13, but that version is not supported (it had many problems caused by the previous owners of the program so the new owners had to make 13.5), and the latest version is actually 13.5.1.

Hello, thank you for replying.
I don't think it's a Moho problem, I currently use Moho 12.5 and also Moho 13.5.
What happens is that when I create my characters,I use thousands of layers,masks,patches and bones as seen here :https://youtu.be/cbxHcS0XLZE
And when I have 2 or 4 characters in a single scene it becomes slow and sometimes closes.this happens slower in Moho 13.5 ,that's why I use Moho 12.5.
Do not you think it is due to some component of my pc to strengthen it or acquire one with more capacity?
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

In my opinion, your computer seems more than capable of running Moho at maximum speed. Moho can only handle so many animated layers, animated shapes, and so forth, before losing speed. That is my understanding, at least. So you may need to look for other solutions besides a hardware upgrade.

If Moho is running slowly, you might simplify your complicated scenes to give Moho a break. For example, try turning off some layers, or animate characters one at a time (other characters not imported). After all the characters have been animated, bring them all together into the scene and render.

People who animate complicated scenes could probably give you some tips. I remember somewhere in this forum, a few months ago, somebody posted a list of ways to make Moho run faster.

Perhaps experiment and try to discover if there is a specific character that causes the problem, or what part of a character is the problem. That might make it easier to develop a solution. Some things, like Physics, might actually cause Moho a lot of effort to accomplish. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Good luck.
Last edited by Hoptoad on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

bbrraayyaann wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:00 pm Hello, thank you for replying.
I don't think it's a Moho problem, I currently use Moho 12.5 and also Moho 13.5.
What happens is that when I create my characters,I use thousands of layers,masks,patches and bones as seen here :https://youtu.be/cbxHcS0XLZE
And when I have 2 or 4 characters in a single scene it becomes slow and sometimes closes.this happens slower in Moho 13.5 ,that's why I use Moho 12.5.
Do not you think it is due to some component of my pc to strengthen it or acquire one with more capacity?
Well that was my first thought because I stopped having crashes when I disabled autosave, and your PC is quite poweful. But if you are stressing Moho that much maybe you could benefit from a better PC, I don't actually know because I haven't stressed it that much. Maybe someone esle knows.
There are also a lot of settings that you can change, mostly to hide things from the viewport with the visual quality settings so it can run better. Trying GPU acceleration on and off may have different results depending on your machine and the scene you are working on. But looking at your rig you probably already know all that so let's see if someone can share his experience with PC upgrades and Moho performance.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

My computer has similar specs (processor is 3600 instead of 2600X), but runs Moho 13.5 without any issues. Instead of considering a component upgrade, see if there are any background processes that are slowing down your system with the task manager.

Also see if there are processes that cause excessive hard drive read/writes. Spinning HDDs have lots of capacity, but can bog down a system if there are a lot of read/write processes going on. Even solid state drives, fast as they are, are still slow by memory standards.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
bbrraayyaann

Post by bbrraayyaann »

Hoptoad wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:18 pm In my opinion, your computer seems more than capable of running Moho at maximum speed. Moho can only handle so many animated layers, animated shapes, and so forth, before losing speed. That is my understanding, at least. So you may need to look

Hi, thanks for the suggestion I will see if I can animate in that mode, but I see it complex to animate each character separately.
bbrraayyaann

Post by bbrraayyaann »

MrMiracle77 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:00 pm My computer has similar specs (processor is 3600 instead of 2600X), but runs Moho 13.5 without any issues. Instead of considering a component upgrade, see if there are any background processes that are slowing down your system with the task manager.
Thanks for replying, I have a solid state drive:
KINGSTON SA400S37240G
DangerAwareCIO

Post by DangerAwareCIO »

Greetings, I am new to Moho, and have been learning for about three months. I was constantly having crashes, but Moho suggested we hire Chad Troftgruben to teach us (DangerAware.org) how to use Moho. Well, I had created a character and it kept crashing everything. I hired Chad to correct the issues, but it was so bad, even he could not figure it out, but between us we did. I had been using the Paint Can to change the colors of objects that were the elements of my characters. I do not know why they have a paint can when it causes so many issues, but after recreating the character using the Create Object tool to color them instead, it no longer crashes. Chad owns Toonfiles.com and he has an excellent training program there, and you can view a lot of his stuff on YouTube, look for Toonfiles. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

DangerAwareCIO wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 am Greetings, I am new to Moho, and have been learning for about three months. I was constantly having crashes, but Moho suggested we hire Chad Troftgruben to teach us (DangerAware.org) how to use Moho. Well, I had created a character and it kept crashing everything. I hired Chad to correct the issues, but it was so bad, even he could not figure it out, but between us we did. I had been using the Paint Can to change the colors of objects that were the elements of my characters. I do not know why they have a paint can when it causes so many issues, but after recreating the character using the Create Object tool to color them instead, it no longer crashes. Chad owns Toonfiles.com and he has an excellent training program there, and you can view a lot of his stuff on YouTube, look for Toonfiles. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing that. I am having a stable Moho 13.5.1 since I disabled auto-saving, but I never use the paint bucket tool. Coincidentally, this morning I used it experimenting with drawing an easy background and I got a crash that made me lost a couple hours of work, so I entered here to look for auto-saving scripts and just read your comment.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

My first thought is to check for negative keyframes. This error can cause Moho to slow down drastically and become unresponsive, and can lead to frequent crashing.

The quickest and easiest way to fix this issue is to use Synthsin75's excellent Find and Delete Negative Keyframe script found here...

http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15

The thread explains the issue in detail and how to use the script. AFAIK, there's no known cause for this error but it occurs rarely in recent versions of Moho.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Update: today it crashed again and tried to reproduce the error until I found it. False alarm, at least in my case it was not the bucket tool but the round edges tool from Mynd. It usually works very well and the tool is amazingly useful but if you experiment with non-simple forms it will crash sometimes.

The bucket tool doesn't seem to be causing me any problems so far (I've been using it a couple of days)

Check Greenlaw's advice. And another thing that has caused me problems and fit very well in your story (you made the character again and the problem was solved) is that sometimes when you create a reference and then break the reference modifying it or changing the original design, sometimes the reference gets corrupted. It has happened many times to me, and just deleting the ref and creating it again solves the issue.

When references get corrupted sometimes if the corruption is too bad you can see how the moho file is much bigger, like 3mb instead of the previously 300kb, for example. Moho also lags more, and it frecuently crashes while trying to undo, especially if you do it quickly 4 or 5 times.