Sound in this... sound effects etc

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Windmill

Sound in this... sound effects etc

Post by Windmill »

Whats the sound features like in this? Like, if you were to have a ball bouncing, could you add a bounce sound?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Nope, you have to add all sounds yourself and synchronize the animation of the ball with your imported sound track.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...Curious! Cause that is something that I had thinking recently... And the cuestion is: is there actually some app with something similar?? I mean, you define the parameters of an object, just like now we can do with material libraries for texturing, plus other sound relevant properties like hardness, surface, matter, finish, weigh, etc... You know, to can create automatic "real" sounds simulation in concordance with objects interaction... Well, seems dificult but if not yet, I think this will be something that we can see in a near or not near future (I hope :))
myles

Post by myles »

Rasheed wrote:Nope, you have to add all sounds yourself and synchronize the animation of the ball with your imported sound track.
As Rasheed says, you need to first create a single soundtrack file (in some other software) for each .moho file.

Alternatively, export your animation from Moho and add the bounce sounds in an external video editor.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Windmill

Post by Windmill »

yes. I was reading and they said to have an external editor. Would windows media player be adaquete?
Toxic Hawk

Post by Toxic Hawk »

You can check out http://www.findsounds.com/ for free sound effects.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Those are mostly free for personal use, not for commercial use. If you want properly copyrighted material, you could register to The Freesound Project and use the sounds under Creative Commons. Nevertheless, those sounds can't be used for advertizing or commercials other than for the promotion of the work itself, as stated in their copyright statement (Creative Commons Sampling Plus License). And as always with CC, you need to mention the creator.

Often, for commercial use, you need to buy royalty-free sounds.

As a general rule, it is not permitted to use sounds for commercial use unless it is explicitly allowed under certain rules.

If a (c) all rights reserved is mentioned, you need to have a written statement to use it (and in some countries it is still not allowed to use certain media, especially songs, even if you have written permission, because you first need to pay dues to collection agencies).

The Creative Commons license is some rights reserved, which means you can use the sounds for certain purposes (as stated in the type of CC), as long as you mention the creator (this is always mandatory, even for sounds that are deemed public domain).

I'm no legal expert, but some people are just too liberal about use work from others, reasoning that if it is on the internet, it is free game. Reality check, internet is part of the real world and in the RW, creative people are acknowledged for their works.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Windows Media Player - kind of a hint in the application name :-) .

As for sound FX, you could try the newsgroups (from memory alt.binaries.mp3.sound-effects) great place for some very good nd diverse stuff. The postings to the newsgroups are sporadic and it depends on the NTTP Feed as to how long the archive is kept. Some effets are copyright legal ("amateur recordings" which are anything but amateur), others not (like rips from Star Trek or Lord of the Rings).

Some are downright bizarre - like a collection of some 200 farts, all catalogued and creatively named ... those names cracked me up as they were just brilliant. Last week, someone posted the entire cartoon SndEffect Library of a major hollywood animation company - that company might not be too pleased about the IPR abuse but it was damn usedful.

You'll need a newsreader to access newsgroups - Xnews is a reliable one if you have problems (google source it).

Rhoel
Windmill

Post by Windmill »

whoops! I mean windows movie maker 2 ;)