Does using the 'Line Width' tool break the link to Styles

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drumlug13

Does using the 'Line Width' tool break the link to Styles

Post by drumlug13 »

I originally posted this in the wrong section. Just reposting with Neeters' reply in "How Do I..." in case someone else had the same question....

I've noticed that the strokes on several shapes will not adjust when I try to change them using the Style window. Then I noticed that it was only the strokes that I had adjusted with the Line Width Tool that were unchangeable.

When you use the Line Width Tool on a shape linked to a Style does it permanently break that link?

Is there any way to re-link the Style's stroke value to the shape?

I've tried deleting the Stlye from the shape and reassigning it. I've also tried selecting all points on the shape and dragging the Line Width Tool all the way to the left to reset the value.

neeters_guy solution......
You can restore the stroke to its default state (or assigned style) by selecting the points in question and going to the menu, Draw -> Reset Line Width (ctrl-L).

Make sure you're on frame 0 when you change your style. Styles can be animated and if you accidentally make a change on the timeline, it can be a headache trying to find the keys.

What you're doing is overriding a style and style overrides are animatable too. Watch your style palette and be aware if you're changing a style or an override.

Think of each assignment of a style to a shape as a unique instance, with it's own animated properties.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

.... so now I'm not the new guy in the house that just put a drink on the coffee table without using a coaster. But now I'll probably break the vase and piss somebody else off.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

drumlug13 wrote:But now I'll probably break the vase and piss somebody else off.
Just don't set fire to the house, OK?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

But I can do this really cool trick with lit candles and curtains.... I'll just need a few drinks first.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

drumlug13 wrote:But I can do this really cool trick with lit candles and curtains.... I'll just need a few drinks first.
Funny you should say that. Exactly that happened to my next-door neighbour's house a few years back...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?