A bunch of gradient controls I should not have

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Seyrse

A bunch of gradient controls I should not have

Post by Seyrse »

Some how I have all these extra gradient controls, from who knows where?
How do I get rid of them. They can't be good just junk information in the file.

http://home.comcast.net/~eyrse/storestu ... ontrol.jpg

Thanks Steve E.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi.

looks to me as though you have lots of Shapes. I struggled with this sort of problem for a while until I decided to RTFM (my last resort ... as usual! :roll: ) about the relationship between points and shapes: one point can be part of the edge of many shapes; shape stacking order is important.

Take a look at:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e3y3axmrt8vta44

there are two layers. Supershapes defines one Shape as all the outer points plus all the shapes in "subshapes"; Subshapes defines lots of Shapes using some combination of "outer" and "inner" points.

By Rasing the outer shape to the Top and filling the outer shape with (in this example) a gradient fill ALL the gradient fills in the lower "subshapes" are obscured - the "top" fill renders over the top of the lower shapes. The fills are still there - you just can't see them when rendered.

to see what I mean try this:

select the layer subshapes.
select all the outer points (i.e. not the two "inside" points)
Create Shape using this set of points (and Fill if you don't have auto-fill on.)
Render.

you see one shape rendered; but when you look at the edit window you see all the fill controls for the lower (now obscured) shapes as well.

How to resolve your problem: figure out how many Shapes you've defined and in which order they are stacked in the vector layer(s); delete the Shapes and/or fills that are not "on top"....

Hope this helps.
Seyrse

Post by Seyrse »

Thanks for the pointers. Now back to the manual and to try and find out about points and shapes and stacking order.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you're welcome...

there's a whole manual section on "Fill Tools" that goes into detail

- the introductory para talks about the difference between "draw" (=create lines and outlines) and "fill" (= add colour to the lines and to the spaces within the boundaries defined by the lines)

- then focus on the sections on the "create shape" and "delete shape" tools and read on into "complex fills" and "compound fills"....

what I did when I got hopelessly lost trying to sort out the first messy set of unintended shapes / fills I'd created was to delete all the shapes (but leaving the empty "wireframe" sets of points) and start again...

I keep experimenting with multiple layers as against multiple shapes stacked in one layer - (e.g. one layer for a whole body or one layer for each body part....) both seem to have merit, but I can't see an objective way of making that decision. (Masking - especially eyes / eyelids if you're going to animate eye movements - seems to be a compelling case for multi-layer)
>>> Anyone got any thoughts on this???

(BTW - I've seen many posts saying how user-hostile the AS "drawing" and "masking" tools are ... IMHO they're very powerful... if you can learn how to control and use the power the results are stunning ... sadly the techie in me is ahead of the artist on the learning curve right now...).
Seyrse

Post by Seyrse »

As I'm coming from the world of CorelDraw and vinyl graphics I find the tools in AS very straight forward and easy. ONCE I get the terms in my head. A lot of which are patterned after Adobe Ill. Stroke is not a Corel term it uses outline, points are nodes. All the same just a little different in what it is called. Then there is the understanding of the ... just a highlighted outline, vrs just points, vrs. the checker board fill. Which in Corel means transparent. But thanks to all the help here working in Anime is going to be fun.

Steve E.