Linking objects or layers?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

Linking objects or layers?

Post by mkelley »

This has come up so much in the last few animations I've tried that I wonder if I'm missing something somewhere, but is there any way to link a layer and/or object temporarily to another layer/object?

In 3D we often have this need (and have the tools) -- someone will pick up an object and then carry it for a while and put it down. We can create links at any frame and then unlink when we want to move it independently. But I don't see this capability anywhere.

I suppose the fake around is to hide a sublayer with a copy of the object in it and turn on visibility on or off, but then the original needs to be matched up wherever you want to put it down -- not real convenient.

If I'm missing something obvious I'd love to know -- otherwise I have to guess this is on *everyone's* wish list.
DK

Post by DK »

You can bind a layer to a bone using the bind layer tool under the bone toolset. The icon for it looks like a bone shape over a page with a turned up corner.

To use it you create a bone layer that has a set of sub layers. Each of these sub layers can be binded, (bound?), to a particular bone in your bone group. You could then turn your layer visibility on or off when something is picked up.

D.K
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

But once bound you can't turn it off, right? So it's still a matter of futzing around.

Here's the thing -- if a character picks up a glass to take a drink and then (let's say) gives it to someone else about the only thing I can do is create three separate copies of that glass. One I can leave on the table (and turn off when the character picks it up), one I can link to that character and the other I can link to the other character BUT when each character "handles" the glass I will need to move the appropriate layer to "match up" to where the glass should be at that time, correct?

If so -- really very klutzy and something that could easily be handled with an animatable link. I know the likelihood of another release anytime soon is remote, but is there a place to post our wishlists?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

mkelley wrote:...when each character "handles" the glass I will need to move the appropriate layer to "match up" to where the glass should be at that time, correct?
No, that's not true. In the situation you describe, you could have a hand switch layer for the first character -- one layer with the glass, another without. Similarly for the second character. Now, the hands are matched up in space when the switch takes place -- no juggling with layers necessary. They are always at the end of the relevant arm -- just like in real life! (Unless I'm missing something...?)
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I was sitting here trying to figure out how this could be done. Couldn't come up with anything. Thanks jahnocli!

So you would only need a copy of the object for each character who holds it, then just translate one object with a bone to each hand and turn off visibility.

I had thought in the past of trying a scripted solution, like an "animated constraint"... but I couldn't figure out how or where to save "keys" for the transfer when the file is saved and closed.

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Thanks for the idea about switch layers -- not a perfect solution (since it still requires some matching up of the object as it exists in any situation) but certainly easier to handle (so to speak) than multiple object layers on their own.

I can make it work for most of what I want, I think (it may mean an unnecessary bone kind of "hanging" there for some objects that can't be controlled well without it -- I'm thinking of things that extend below the hand and can't be relied upon to be translated properly by just the bones in the fingers).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Create an "extra" bone for the object that is attached to the hand in the switch layer. This way you can easily adjust the position of the object as it "moves around".

For example you would put a bone in the switch layer and bind just the points of the "object" to this bone. The hand switch layer would be bound to the hand bone of the parent skeleton. Then you can adjust the position of the object to "match" the other copies of the same object.

An extra bone for the object NOT attached to a hand would be good as well.

I've never done "multiple" hand offs of an object but I have done the "pick up carry put down" thing and it is always nice to have the extra bone to tweak the position so there is a smooth transition.

-vern