Disappearing layers?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jen

Disappearing layers?

Post by Jen »

I am new and my animations are clearly showing it.

In my project, I have imported a background .png that covers the entire board, two other .png images in their own layers, and a couple of vector drawings with bones. I'm trying to move one of the imported .png images from the top of the frame to the bottom, but halfway down, the image disappears. I can't make any sense as to why it disappears where it does, it's not behind another image or one of the vector layers, the entire image just isn't visible anymore.

What have I done? Is the layer this image is on not as large as the entire frame and I just need to enlarge it to cover the whole frame so I can move it around or is there something sinister going on?

New info: when I hide the background .png image, I can see the "disappearing layer" wherever I move it. Still confused though.....
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

A screen grab of the layer palette with all group layers expanded (if any) would help.

Better still the actual file. From your description there is nothing I can even guess at could be the problem. I assume something else is going on.

You mentioned a bone layer... so... that means the images aren't in the bone layer... which means something "sinister" may be going on... can't even guess till I see the set up. Going out on a limb it vaguely sounds like a masking issue.

The background layer? Is it below or above the disappearing layer?

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I can imagine several reasons, some common ones:

1. Did you really checked all timelines? There's that "Settings" button on top of the timeline palette. By default only some of the options are checked, in your case the opacity timeline matters.

2. If you accidentially set the image level invisible at one point, the timeline will show a dark pink from there on.

3. An image layer can be moved by Layer Translation, or by Bones Translation if attached to a bone, or if it is nested inside another (group) layer. Or you may have created a camera movement?
Jen

Disappearing layers?

Post by Jen »

The problem was the pink in the timeline. Sorry....I'm incredibly green with this.

New issue, though. I have my drawings all set and ready to go. I position them at frame 1. There is only one layer I want moving until frame 12, the rest I want to stay stationary until that time. How do I do that. If I want other layers to move between frame 12 and 24, I move to frame 24, move the images to where I want them to end up, but they start moving from frame 1. I'm not sure how to get them to be still until frame 12 then start moving in the next 12 frames. I think it has something to do with the keyframes, I just don't know what.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Another case of Psychic Software Syndrome™ (or PSS). ;)

The application can't possibly know that you want something to NOT move until frame 12... how in the heck could it know if you don't tell it? It would have to read your mind.

How do you tell AS that you don't want something to move? The same way you tell it to MOVE something. You put in a key frame that doesn't move. Copy the key frame from frame 1 and paste on frame 12 or just key the stationary motion on frame 12. Now go to frame 24 and key the motion.

Remember that NON motion is the same as MOTION. To make something not moving... move... you put in a key frame. The same thing applies to NON motion... it's just not nearly as exciting. ;)

-vern