Flash 10 sneak-peek

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

Flash 10 sneak-peek

Post by Manu »

As usual, there's no guarantee these features shown will actually make it in the final product. Even so, looks like good ol' Anime Studio may have a fight on its hands. Specially the first video-clip on top is the one most interesting to animators.

Unfortunately, the video quality is pretty rubbish.

Flash 10 sneak-peek
Last edited by Manu on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Oh freaking crap...

Oh boy. Efrontier better get cracking. This is big. Runtime IK... Freaking runtime IK!!!!!!

There is still a lot we don't know about yet as far as "Flash bones"... do they have influence in the same way as region or flexible binding as AS does?

This might also be a good thing for AS down the road. If Flash has bones it should be possible to maybe export bone animation from AS to SWF a little better.

-vern
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

heyvern wrote: This might also be a good thing for AS down the road. If Flash has bones it should be possible to maybe export bone animation from AS to SWF a little better.

-vern
It won't be any different. Bones is just a tool to move points just like the point tool is. What Mike never figured out, was how to make a symbol and use that same symbol over many frames. Instead it just created a symbol for each frame. And like I said before, bones and flash are nothing new, they've been in KoolMoves for some years now. :wink:
Manu

Post by Manu »

It's one thing saying "bones" in a feature-list. It's quite something else getting it right.

Same goes for good motion-paths. I've always been underwhelmed by Anime Studio's motion-paths. The ones in that Flash sneak-peek looked pretty good. Of course, this is without actualy having played with it myself.

If Adobe gets it right, things will start to look very interesting in the next few years.

I wouldn't count on AS bones being compatible with Flash bones, both programs use different vectors to begin with.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The path motion stuff in that video was pretty cool. It would be great if down the road AS had a bit more in that regard.

The concern efrontier needs to have about the future of AS is that (bones) feature is now in Flash. A lot of people bought AS because of the bones driven character animation tools.

If Flash had that "built in" before I purchased Moho... I may not have. It would depend however on if the bones in Flash have "influence" or "strength" regions as AS does. If all those bones do is move shapes like "puppets" it would be completely useless for my needs.

Another Adobe product, AE has that cool "puppet" technology using a similar "bones" feature. If this leads to that sort of feature in Flash... yikes.

I hate Flash though... it would take a lot more to make me switch now. Flash would need to have ALL the same "bones" features in AS before I would get too excited. ;)

I can imagine though that there are some excited Flash animators chomping at the bit to get there hands on a future Flash version with bones built in. I wonder if it isn't a bit late for them to be adding that now since there are so many scripted options for it available?

I was REALLY impressed with the PDF/Flash integration... that is cool. I spoke with a client just yesterday about creating a "scripted" PDF with a direct link to google maps for creating custom sales materials for their sales force.

It was very weird to see the EXACT idea I just talked about a few hours earlier right there in front of me. Like someone read my mind. ;)

-vern
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

One thing about flash though, is that you can see your gradient colors and so forth. It would be nice if you could see all this in AS as well.
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

I think bones in Flash are a useless feature as long as they don't fix their shape tweener. I've never understood why Flash add's points to a shape randomly while it "tweens", even it is just a simple square repositioned a few frames later.
Freeline

Post by Freeline »

I totally agree to EddyWally. The shape tweener is almost useless. But there are some more points, where flash does work really bad. It has no Magnetic-tool, and flash sucks at longer scenes or bigger sized formats or very complex vector-figures or bigger bitmap-pics. So imitating a certain feature of ASP isnt all...
blacksunproject

Re: Flash 10 sneak-peek

Post by blacksunproject »

Manu wrote:As usual, there's no guarantee these features shown will actually make it in the final product. Even so, looks like good ol' Anime Studio may have a fight on its hands. Specially the first video-clip on top is the one most interesting to animators.

Unfortunately, the video quality is pretty rubbish.

Flash 10 sneak-peek
Bones in Flash?
Now we know where Fahim and Mike disappeared to.
They are working for Adobe now.

Gustavo
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

They are working for Adobe now.
I think Mike does work for Adobe.

-vern
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

They must have fixed the shape-tweening by now. At the preview he drew a arm out of circular shapes, all on the same layer, added bones to it and then moved it around. If the idea is to make it look good as animated they just have sorted it out.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think they have "changed" shape tweening. I heard something in the video about it. Just a casual mention.

-vern
The400th

Post by The400th »

You know, I don't think this is a problem for Anime Studio - it's different to Flash in so many ways that you make a choice based on many things, not just whether it has IK or not.

It IS a problem for Toon Boom, because nobody's going to stump up thousands of dollars for their Solo/DP software (which is Toon Boom Studio with IK and a few effects) when they can get it all in Flash.

(It might also be a problem for Toonz Bravo, but has ANYBODY actually bought that?)

One of the things I like about AS is that it doesn't play "catch up" with the other players, it does its own thing, in its own time. I like that about Animation Master as well (but I hope Hash never sells out to eFrontier).
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

I have waited for 6 years, and NOW they bother! I seems like Adobe buying Macromedia was not that bad after all. I recently gave up flash after animating with it for six years, I bought Anime Studio instead and have been learning that for half a year. Still there are quite a few things I miss from Flash that Anime Studio lack. If Adobe is going for developing animation in Flash, I think they might just run over AS in no time, unfortunately. Especially if EF does not have any more exiting future visions than this. The drawing tools and the color handeling far outruns the tools that you find within AS. I really like AS, a lot. But no matter how hard I try, I will always be a bit anoyed with this. I have read so many Flash wish lists, and a lot of animation requests compare with the moho engine. So I would not be surprised if Adobe is seceretly trying to buy AS from EF(: Maybe thats why they wait with the update? Conspiracy!

I hope in the end we, the users, will get a good and easy animation tool that is under constant development.