Quick Question

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

deserata

Quick Question

Post by deserata »

I'm adding shading to a character (via masking) and it's going great, except that it's also affecting the parts of the strokes that fall under it. So the outlines of the character are discolored in areas, and that's not cool.

I'm pretty sure there's some way to get the strokes to show through without being discolored by the mask.... I just don't know what that is (or where I even heard that from). Little help, anyone? :?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

In most cases you are pretty much out of luck unless you put the stroke on a separate layer... but... uh...

There is a... trick... I use sometimes. It involves using multiple shapes on one mesh. I make the stroke and fill separate shapes. I raise the fill shape over the stroke shape.

The mask is a duplicate of the shape but WITHOUT the stroke. The stroke will then not be covered by the shaded layer... hard to explain. Below is an image example and file for you to look at. It's pretty simplistic so I don't know it it helps with your situation.

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/shad ... rokes.moho

In this image the stroke and fill are one shape. The stroke width is 18. As you can see the mask without a stroke doesn't hide the shading layer completely... only half way do to the fact that strokes are always centered to the mesh.

In this image I "cheated". I "faked" a stroke width of 9 (half of 18) by putting the stroke shape under a fill shape with out a stroke. The mask layer has no stroke so the stroke is not effected by the shading layer.

-vern
deserata

Post by deserata »

I guess as far as this file's concerned, I am out of luck. Not that it's a serious project, anyway; I'm just trying out things to get a better feel for the program.

But thanks for the suggestions/examples/files to pick apart. I'll definitely keep these ideas in mind when I work on future projects. :)
myles

Post by myles »

Going back to Vern's first suggestion:

When you've finished the animation part, duplicate the layer with the original fill (this also duplicates any point motion), move it above the shading layer but keep it in the masking group, set it to not be affected by the masking (and not act as a mask), and turn off all the fills leaving it as outlines only.

That last part (turning off the fills) will probably be the most time-consuming part, but it hopefully shouldn't be too tedious.

However, as Vern implied, it's a little clunky as a workaround - in particular it is no good if you still need to do any point animation tweaking, it needs to be the last step in the animation.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx