GreyKid Pictures ...

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

GreyKid Pictures ...

Post by Genete »

I have reviewed one of the Greykid Pictures shorts (Les Profs). Due to bandwith problems I have seen the animation as slow frame rate. I have realize that:
1) They use Motion Blur for everything that moves relative to the camera. You cannot perceive normally because it is only by one frame or two, but there it is. Motion blur affects only to the layer where the effect is applied. So they apply motion blur to the part of the body that is moving in relation to the rest of the body. For example the arms. Altough the whole body is moving they don't apply motion blur to it. Only to the portions of the body that have a relative high speed respect to the resto of the body. That gives a very "film look" to thier animations. In a real film the camera tracks the person movement (the whole body is sharp) and depending on the light conditions and the operture and depth of field of the camera could appear blur into the moving part of the body (the limbs). (Experts correct me please.)

2) They don't use switch layers for lip movements. (or they use interpolation) I'm thinking they use a combination of Switch layer with bone motion and point motion. Very interesting.

3) They use shadows in the animation (for example the red face of the gim prof) with the same thechnique as sang820 uses with his pretty girls. It means that AS is prepared and valid for non anime drawings (Les profs is the best example of non anime) where the shadows are flat. (correctme if I'm missunderstanding anime style)

They are great!

Genete
LittleFenris

Re: GreyKid Pictures ...

Post by LittleFenris »

Genete wrote:It means that AS is prepared and valid for non anime drawings (Les profs is the best example of non anime) where the shadows are flat. (correctme if I'm missunderstanding anime style)

Genete
AS can do any style you would like it to...this is why I'm so confused (and iritated) that they decided to call it Anime Studio instead of leaving it Moho or calling it something a bit more generic.

The ONLY reason they called it Anime Studio is because of the huge jump in popularity of anime style cartoons around the world. If this had been 5+ years ago they wouldn't have named it the same because anime was nowhere near as popular with the masses then.

I understand they are trying to cash in on the anime craze, but to me it limits the customer base buy pigeon-holing the program into soundling like all it can do is anime.

GreyKid has a few examples of non-anime styles that are more than feature film quality and show AS and ASP are capable of doing much more than just anime.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

still think it should be called MOHO.
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

Me too. I keep calling it MOHO anyway.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Genete wrote:They use Motion Blur for everything that moves relative to the camera. You cannot perceive normally because it is only by one frame or two, but there it is.
Genete, can you post a few examples of what you're describing? Are they using AS motion blur render setting or faking the blur with PNGs?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Gnaws wrote:
Genete wrote:They use Motion Blur for everything that moves relative to the camera. You cannot perceive normally because it is only by one frame or two, but there it is.
Genete, can you post a few examples of what you're describing? Are they using AS motion blur render setting or faking the blur with PNGs?
Really I don't know how they do it. It seems that they use blur for only a frame for certain layers, but more a look to the screen captures more I think they make a blur in a video editor with motion detection...

Look the images...

HERE THE CORNER OF THE COFFE MACHINE INDICATES A USE OF ANIME STUDIO BLUR LAYER OPTION.

HERE IT SEEMS THE SAME BUT I'M NOT SURE

LOOK HERE HOW THE LEFT LEG IS SHARP BECAUSE IT IS ON THE FLOOR. THE REST OF THE BODY IS IN MOTION IN RELATION TO THE CAMERA SO IT IS BLURRED

Maybe Greykid Pictures could put some light on this...
Genete
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Maybe this is a Combustion setting. I think those guys like to use that.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thismay be the plug-in you're looking for. AS motion-blur isn't really a motion-blur, it's what After Effects would call motion-trailing.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

do a web search for Reelsmart Motion blur plug-in (for after effects and Premiere). Thats what it looks like to me
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Yep.

Check here:

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/gallery/

There's even an example of Mike's Lenny. Lol.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Ah. RSMB - My desert island plug-in :D
Worth every penny!
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

Reel Smart Motion blur is really excellent. It looks like a very good photoshop type motion blur but it is very intuitive in the way it interprets motion in your images. I have used it for many projects including puppet animations where the effect did wonders to smooth out motion.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Reel Smart is great.
thanks for the info!
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

As I recall from one of GreyKids earlier post for the Reina animation. Everything was done using ONLY anime studio.
"Queso"
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Nah. I don't think so. You mean they cut between scenes and applied affects and comped in Anime Studio? I find that hard to believe. Thet'd be awesome if they did, though. My guess is they used a 3rd party comping program like After Effects or Combustion to add effects and put it together.

We'll never know until Greykid lets us know.