Shoot stop motion with video reference

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

madrobot

Shoot stop motion with video reference

Post by madrobot »

Hi All. Just wrapped a music clip (see signature) and about to start another. The next one I want to roto claymation onto live action footage. I am trying to work out how I can use a frame grabber which gives me a reference layer of video ref (can be an image sequence I render out from video, I understand that it might not take in a straight up video file). I shot the first half of the last clip in Animashooter, but then transitioned to Arlo, a Tahmoa @D branch, which I adore. It's so clean and tidy, and open source (so, free). I do not want to invest in a Dragonframe license (would explore doing so if I was using Arduino mocon stuff, but I am not).
I want to then take my claymation footage into Moho for tweaking (mesh warp etc) which is all good but it is the initial stage of shooting to reference that I am struggling to work out as a workflow.
Does anyone have any thoughts and guidance on this? It seems Tahoma 2D might manage stop motion thru a DSLR, but the documentation is byzantine and hard to parse. Maybe I need to circle back to Animashooter! Which is a pretty great little frame grabber.