Masking don't work with bones!

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Masking don't work with bones!

Post by Nicohk92 »

Basically, masking will act strange in the viewport when there are bones in the group or above group.

I explain the bug here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18k4F7 ... p=drive_fs

And here is the file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18UUJJ ... p=drive_fs

Can anyone reproduce?

Thanks a lot, this is driving me nuts...
Greenlaw

Re: Masking don't work with bones!

Post by Greenlaw »

It seems to be working here...

I added the bone and then offset the mask to see what it was masking. Is this not correct?

Update: Oh, wait...something is weird here, isn't it? Let me look again.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

It doesn't look correct. You should be able to see the filled circle within the circle.
I think it has to do with the gradient.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I see...you have two separate shapes in your mask layer. Let me look again to see what you're trying to do.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri May 24, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

That's right. But it renders fine, which is odd. And my system gets significantly slowed.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Layer B is a solid red circle that's being multiplied over Layer A, so it's coloring the blue as red, and Layer A is the mask for Layer B so its alpha is trimming Layer B's circle to a smaller circle.

To me, this seems to be working here, even when I add a bone.

Sorry, I probably don't understand what you're trying to do with this mask. Maybe the setup is incorrect for what you want to do? It would help if you can illustrate the intended result.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Layer A is two circles, one solid one and one gradient just behind it. Layer B should multiply over A and so we should still see the two circles , albeit of different colors.
Currently, the smaller circle disappears.

Go anywhere except frame 0 and render. Do you get the same as in the viewport?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, NOW I see what you mean. Sorry, I hadn't stepped into an animation frame. Yes, I'm seeing the error too, and it appears to be a display-only error.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It must be a display bug. Try this as a workaround:

1. Duplicate the Mask layer.
2. In the duplicate layer, set the mask property to Do Not Mask This Layer.
3. Set the Mask layer to Add To Mask But Keep Invisible.

The display and render result should be correct on 0 and later frames.

Be sure to use Duplicate, not Reference, as Reference will not respect differences in the Mask settings. (It may, but only temporarily. This is because Masking options are not keyframeable. Duplicate, however, will keep the different settings.)

I'm not seeing the performance hit you described, but try disabling or enabling GPU cache. Does that make a difference?
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

That workaround works for that simple example. But unfortunately not in my real project where the mask is actually a group composed of a base shape and another group with other shapes that are to be animated.
Even if it worked, which it doesn't (perhaps because my real mask is a group), duplicating it will make it much harder to animate :(
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

It sucks cause without the gradient effect, there s no issue.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you bake the gradient effect? I use Hayasidists Bake To PNG script for situations like this. Since this sounds like a rigged layer, I'm guessing not.

In that case, try using an image for the gradient instead of the Gradient effect. You can use the Image Layer effect for this, or mask the gradient image in a layer.

Note: I believe there may be a bug with the Image Layer Effect in 14.1. It affects the display though, not the render.

Actually, that sounds like the original issue, doesn't it?

In general, I just ignore the display errors since they don't affect the final render. Moho 14.0 and 14.1 have some curious display issues because it introduced a brand new display engine, and there are still some kinks to work out. The issues are annoying but, for now, they're a good trade-off for the masking display limitations we used to have in 13.5 and earlier. I'm certain the developers are working hard to stamp out these bugs. (There were notable improvements between .0 and .1).
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Re: try using an image for the gradient instead of the Gradient effect.
I tried using the image texture effect and came across the same issue. The smaller circle in front disappeared.

Re: In general, I just ignore the display errors since they don't affect the final render.
I like to see what I'm doing.
But not only that, they affect performance hugely. It becomes so laggy it brings Moho almost to a stop.

Re: Note: I believe there may be a bug with the Image Layer Effect in 14.1. It affects the display though, not the render.
Don't know. So far I'm finding out that I can't use at least gradients and image texture when bones and masking are involved together.

I am now trying to get something similar to first intention with the shaded effect. This is a very serious problem to me however, and I already spent precious hours on it. Between this, and the stroke width bug on mac I uncovered the other day, who knows what other flaw I'll come across next. I hate to say this but I'm starting to question if Moho is up to the task.

Thanks for looking into it tho
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Oh, this is exactly the masking bug I mentioned in your other post about slow operations. What I ended doing was to avoid using gradients there. I think I simulated the gradient using multiple shapes and maybe soft edge.

Yeah, Moho rigging tech is amazing but they just remade the entire graphic engine and there are still a few sharp corners. If this helps, between this one and the ones I mention in my comment about performance problems you already know the three worst Moho bugs there are right now. It's also expected to have a few new 14.X versions that are usually packed with bug fixes and a few QoL improvements, and I hope we will see 14.2 soon with this solved.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

I simulated the gradient using multiple shapes and maybe soft edge
Soft edge works! I should have thought of that. Thanks!