Locked Layer Q

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gibble

Locked Layer Q

Post by Gibble »

Hey Gang!

I am trying to move a layer [Eyes] but it is locked. Same goes for the Group.
The bounding box around it is pink which likely is the color that says it is locked.
How can I unlock this layer so I can transform the layer to a new position?? [See below]

Is this locked because I binded the layer to a bone??
Greenlaw

Re: Locked Layer Q

Post by Greenlaw »

A couple of thoughts...

Moho doesn't have a native way to lock items. There is a script by Synthsin75 for locking layers, but it wouldn't be that if you don't have the script installed.

When an item otherwise becomes 'locked' in Moho, the most likely reason is that the item has been keyframes inside an active Smart Bone Action and that Smart Bone is overriding its keyframes.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Are you on frame 0? I'm guessing you are because I see the bold red highlight in the bottom edge.

The Smart Bone situation I described wouldn't affect frame 0, so I'm not sure why the layer would be locked.

Here's another thought: could the layer be offset in time? I've run into situations where that could make items appear 'locked'.

For example, yesterday, I ran into this with a movie file I imported for reference, and I offset the movie minus-one frame. For some reason, this prevented me from scaling and repositioning the movie. When I reset the start time, I was able to transform the layer, and then I set my time offset back to minus-one.

Check Sequencer, or just look where the big green arrow is on the timeline for that layer (it should align with frame 1.) It's easy to unintentionally move it when you RMB-click in the timeline, so be careful. (I still do this sometimes.)
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thanks DR! Smartbones would be the culprit then as they are applied. Thanks a bunch for responding so quickly!

Could a Smartmesh be used to shift the eye over? (knowing that Smartbones are applied)
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Are you on frame 0? I'm guessing you are because I see the bold red highlight in the bottom edge. Yes, I am on fr. 0[/b]

The Smart Bone situation I described wouldn't affect frame 0, so I'm not sure why the layer would be locked. Oh really? Hmm...

Here's another thought: could the layer be offset in time? I've run into situations where that could make items appear 'locked'.

For example, yesterday, I ran into this with a movie file I imported for reference, and I offset the movie minus-one frame. For some reason, this prevented me from scaling and repositioning the movie. When I reset the start time, I was able to transform the layer, and then I set my time offset back to minus-one.

Check Sequencer, [where is this?] or just look where the big green arrow is on the timeline for that layer (it should align with frame 1.) It's easy to unintentionally move it when you RMB-click in the timeline, so be careful. (I still do this sometimes.)
I see the Green Arrow [see below] and it appears to be offset- is this what you mean??
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Yes, looking at your image Greenlaw's suggestion about the sequencer offset was correct: you have a one frame offset. And Moho is probably preventing you from changing things in a sub zero frame. The sequencer can be accessed using the timeline panel's buttons. From the left to the right, right above the "0" you have the "0" button, and the next three buttons are the normal timeline (activated), the sequencer, and the graph editor. If you fix the offset, then the 0 in the timeline will correspond to the actual 0 of the layer and then Moho will probably let you move the layer as you wish.

A good way to reset this without using the sequencer is to select the offset layer, and click on Animation - Reset layer start (or something similar, I don't have it in english but it's the 5th option).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Daxel explained it well.

You can also fix the offset by RMB-Click dragging in the timeline to move the offset back one frame. This is the same as going into Sequencer and shifting the layer. It's just more direct this way because you don't need to change the Timeline view to Sequencer.
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thanks so much for the tips Daxel and DR! That was the exact issue! It was offset and I all I needed to do was move it over one frame as you suggested. And now it all works as it should.
Question: Why did this happen in the first place? Was there something I likely did to cause this??
See below:

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

As mentioned, RMB clicking on the Timeline can shift it. If I'm not careful, I sometimes accidentally shift it this way. It's easy enough to correct, but it can be a pain when I don't catch the mistake before doing a lot of animation.

So be careful. :D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Yeah it happens to me twice a week. Hopefully one day Moho will add a modifier key to this shortcut to prevent this and we will live happily ever after c: