Frame by Frame - how to keep line consistency

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AnotherMarble

Frame by Frame - how to keep line consistency

Post by AnotherMarble »

Hello,

I got Moho from an humble bundle offer and i am now making an animation on it. I had a bit of experience with blender before, not much.

The problem im having is to keep the lines "normal" using FreeHand.

I mean the lines dont keep the same size and constantly try to adjust themselves. I tried to change some stuff on the Freehand Options, taper, smoothing, etc but it´s impossible to get a line that doesnt try to compensate somehow.

On the other hand the BlobBrush behavior is closer to what i expected from a normal drawn line.

I animate mainly frame by frame, im using a drawing tablet, maybe the pressure is afecting this too?

It´s frustrating but i want to finish this animation in Moho and see if i need to look for another software.
concavepgons

Re: Frame by Frame - how to keep line consistency

Post by concavepgons »

From my experience, I got the best results by:

Turning off: Auto Weld, Weld Ends and Merge Strokes.
Set Point Reduction setting to 0% to turn it off completely. (In Blender Grease Pencil this setting is .2% but we can't set it to that in Moho so I recommend turning it off).

This should make drawing the lines you want much more easier. (Do keep in mind that this will increase the amount of points created when drawing though.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you haven't already done so, you'll want to make sure that Let Me Use My Pen As A Mouse When It's Available is disabled. In Moho 13.5.5 and earlier, this option can cause all sorts of weird errors in Moho when using a tablet and pen. This option can be found in the Pen & Windows Ink control panel under Additional Pen Settings.

Victor told me about this one a few days ago, so...thanks, Victor! :D

So far, I've tested this on a Wacom Cintiq, and Surface Laptop Studio, and friends of mine confirmed this also works for XP-Pen and Wacom Intuos Pro. For now, the assumption is that this works for any graphics tablet used with Moho. Disabling this option is not a perfect fix for the current Freehand and Blob Brush, but they will behave more reliably than when it's on. If you're using a Wacom Tablet, you'll also want to enable Windows Ink to get pen pressure support. (This can be enabled as a program-specific setting in the Wacom Tablet Properties panel.)
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Maybe obvious but with the freehand tool selected click on the freehand Options Under Variable line width select none
Also turning down smoothing all the way down and point reduction to 0
I use a WACOM med tablet and I get the straight lines (although with point reduction turned down you could get a lot of points)
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:45 pm If you haven't already done so, you'll want to make sure that Let Me Use My Pen As A Mouse When It's Available is disabled. In Moho 13.5.5 and earlier, this option can cause all sorts of weird errors in Moho when using a tablet and pen. This option can be found in the Pen & Windows Ink control panel under Additional Pen Settings.
Now that Moho 14 is officially out...

This is not necessary for the new Moho 14, only for Moho 13.5.5 and earlier. Using a tablet and pen with Moho 14 works fine whether Use My Pen As A Mouse is on or off.