Pro: Best Way to Correct Knees & Elbow Folds on Raster Images

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RendCycle

Pro: Best Way to Correct Knees & Elbow Folds on Raster Images

Post by RendCycle »

Hi! I'm new to Moho and using Raster Images in animation. What is the best way to correct animation of knees and elbow folds on Moho Pro 12? Please refer to the image below for more info.

synthsin75

Re: Pro: Best Way to Correct Knees & Elbow Folds on Raster Images

Post by synthsin75 »

Bone>Create smooth joint for bone pairs

Victor has an awesome tutorial for using it more than once on the same limb: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=27158
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, try Smooth Joint first. It's the easiest thing to try and if it works, that's great! Smooth Joint is what I used for the Puss In Boots elbows and in other early Moho TV work. It can work well for certain textures, however, you might see issues with very detailed textures, like between your character's sleeve and forearm. Definitely give it a try though.

If it doesn't work as desired, I suggest creating a custom mesh and using a Smart Bone in the joint to correct the deformations. When set up properly, the rotation of the joint will deform the mesh exactly the way you want. Tip: it helps to divide the mesh at the joint so you can overlap elements in the drawing, like the sleeve over the arm. This also helps when you need to change the stacking order, like when the character reaches behind himself.
RendCycle

Post by RendCycle »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:50 pm Bone>Create smooth joint for bone pairs

Victor has an awesome tutorial for using it more than once on the same limb: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=27158
Excellent tip! I will try this out. Thank you very much! :-)
RendCycle

Post by RendCycle »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:22 pm Yes, try Smooth Joint first. It's the easiest thing to try and if it works, that's great! Smooth Joint is what I used for the Puss In Boots elbows and in other early Moho TV work. It can work well for certain textures, however, you might see issues with very detailed textures, like between your character's sleeve and forearm. Definitely give it a try though.

If it doesn't work as desired, I suggest creating a custom mesh and using a Smart Bone in the joint to correct the deformations. When set up properly, the rotation of the joint will deform the mesh exactly the way you want. Tip: it helps to divide the mesh at the joint so you can overlap elements in the drawing, like the sleeve over the arm. This also helps when you need to change the stacking order, like when the character reaches behind himself.
I was wondering about the sleeve as well. I will try out your suggestions too for using Mesh + Smart Bone on the Joint part. Thank you! :-)
RendCycle

Post by RendCycle »

I've tried using Smart Joint based on the video tutorial. But I can't seem to use it because the option is disabled for me even in Pro. Are there other steps I need to do to make it work? Kindly refer to image below:

Last edited by RendCycle on Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

From the user manual:
This command works on a pair of selected bones (for example, bones for the upper
and lower arms, or upper and lower legs). The two bones also have to have a
parent-child relationship, and start out in close to a straight line.
RendCycle

Post by RendCycle »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:02 am From the user manual:
This command works on a pair of selected bones (for example, bones for the upper
and lower arms, or upper and lower legs). The two bones also have to have a
parent-child relationship, and start out in close to a straight line.
I adjusted the bones, aligned them more straightly, and the Smart Joint option activated! I was then able to further make adjustments to the placement of those 'Bones with Smart Joint' using Transform Bone. Resulting effect of each bone when rotated is ok but I will probably still have to make those Arm images straighter to have a much better looking bend. Thanks once again! :-)