No alpha bug?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

No alpha bug?

Post by slowtiger »

I encountered a strange behaviour with video files with alpha here. The file contains only some PNGs with alpha, nothing fancy (Edit: tested with vector art, same result.). Moho on Mac 10.15.

- File open in old Moho versions 9 and 11, rendering on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.11 with either Quicktime PNG+alpha or Quicktime ProRes4444: no problem, file has alpha in Quicktime as well as re-imported to Moho as well as imported to TVPaint or FinalCut.

- Same file rendered in Moho 13.5 to MOV ProRes alpha or MOV PNG alpha: file has alpha in Quicktime as well as re-imported to Moho or FinalCut, but a solid BG in TVPaint or the video editor of my client.

- Same file rendered in Moho 13.5 to AVI PNG alpha: doesn't open in Quicktime (this is expected), re-imported to Moho shows alpha, but has no image at all when imported to TVPaint.

PNG files have alpha, regardless from where I render.

My workaround for now was to re-import the MOV ProRes alpha file into Moho 11 on 10.11 and render as Quicktime ProRes 4444 from there, which on my side works as expected (also in TVPaint).

Could anyone confirm?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
mmmaarten

Re: No alpha bug?

Post by mmmaarten »

This might not help you, but I could try to help
(I always render to PNG image sequence)

Did you try the 'premultiplied' setting in the exporter?

Else I could only advise you to export to an image sequence and let the video editors output do the conversion to video. That also has the benefit that wherever you got your image sequences from, the video work is always done the same and done by the software that is made for it and your images being used during the process before the output are always the best quality (no compression).
Adults should play more often
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, I tried both versions once I found that setting - no difference.

Image sequence doen't do it for me because - you will not believe it - FinalCut doesn't yield my import settings, it stubbornly makes every image 1 sec long.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

slowtiger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:55 pm Yes, I tried both versions once I found that setting - no difference.

Image sequence doen't do it for me because - you will not believe it - FinalCut doesn't yield my import settings, it stubbornly makes every image 1 sec long.
Wow, crazy. I feel you.

Than if I were you I would download and install the free version of Davinci Resolve from here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/, use that to convert the image sequence to whatever file format you like and use that file in FinalCut.

That free version got everything you need to convert every image sequence to a video file. Just a quick'n'dirty instruction:
- Start a new project with right resolution and framerate
- Switch to Edit-tab
- Select all images and drag them unto the timeline
- Switch to the Deliver tab
- Choose the settings and output (like codec and stuff) on the left, hit 'Add to render queue' (works more or less like after effects) and on the right hit 'Render all' to render the queue

Hope this helps!
Adults should play more often