How to close all the render windows at once?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

How to close all the render windows at once?

Post by Daxel »

Many times I have to close 20-30 windows of renders that I've quickly accumulated testing how things look this or that way. Do you guys know any option to close all those render windows at once?
Greenlaw

Re: How to close all the render windows at once?

Post by Greenlaw »

IMO, it would be helpful if Moho rendered to a single window but kept track of the previous versions in a list. Many 3D programs work this way so animators can easily compare versions. This is especially useful when there's also an A/B wipe available.

For now, I just avoid letting Moho keep more than two render preview windows open at a time, and manually close older windows as I render into new ones.

If you have a bunch of render preview windows open right now, a quick way to close them all is to repeatedly press Alt+F4. This is the shortcut to close a render preview window. It's not exactly what you want but this is easier and quicker than individually clicking on the close box for every window.

Another way is to simply close Moho and relaunch it.

Hope this helps.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Not sure which platform you are on, but tasklist/taskkill can be used to close windows on Windows. see: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/265 ... tains-text

There is also Python tool called PyGetWindow that can be used to find and close windows on Windows. https://pypi.org/project/PyGetWindow/
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

When you do a new render, it brings all the render windows to the top.
So you can just hit escape until they're all gone. Fastest way I know, aside from writing a macro to do the job.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh! I didn't realize Esc closes the window too. Good to know because that's easier to remember. 😸
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Also didn't know about ESC. That's quite handy and brutally quick when held down.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I never thought of holding it down. That's probably as fast as any macro.
I'm just in the habit of hitting ESC after every render. At most I only compare 2 renders at once.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

SimplSam wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:26 am That's quite handy and brutally quick when held down.
Oh, yeah...that's the way to go! I created over 30 render preview windows, got out my timer, and then held down the Esc key. They all closed in under 2 seconds!

Thanks for these tips guys!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Thank you guys. All great ideas, as I expected.

I didn't know Esc closed the render window, that's very handy. And holding it to close all seems to be the easiest solution.

I don't get all the render windows on top when I create a new render, only the last one. So if I hold Esc I only close the last render. I don't know why. I'm using 13.5.5 and Windows 10, double monitor.

I see that if I minimize and maximize Moho, then I get every render window on top. I have to click on the render (to make the window active, I guess) and then I can hold Esc and close every render.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Does rendering bring the render windows to the top if the main window and renders are on the same monitor?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:07 am Does rendering bring the render windows to the top if the main window and renders are on the same monitor?
Yes, rendering brings the render on top. But if I then minimize the render to keep using Moho, and create a second render, this last one will be on top, but closing it will leave the Moho window on top. It doesn't matter if every render is on the same monitor. I tried closing the panels that I had on the second monitor but keeps doing the same. Not a problem though, minimizing and maximizing Moho puts every render on top of it for some reason.

An option on the view menu would be welcome though, something like "close all render windows", with an optional shortcut. That was the first thing I looked for.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you're on Windows, for now I'd suggest doing this:
Hit Win+D twice, click on a render window, then hold ESC to close all of them.

This shows the desktop then restores all the minimized windows.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:30 am If you're on Windows, for now I'd suggest doing this:
Hit Win+D twice, click on a render window, then hold ESC to close all of them.

This shows the desktop then restores all the minimized windows.
Good idea but my windows key is broken. It's okay, minizing and maximizing is already way better than manually closing 20 windows.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:45 am Good idea but my windows key is broken. It's okay, minizing and maximizing is already way better than manually closing 20 windows.
In that case, you can repeatedly Ctrl+click the Moho taskbar icon to restore all the windows.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:38 pm
Daxel wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:45 am Good idea but my windows key is broken. It's okay, minizing and maximizing is already way better than manually closing 20 windows.
In that case, you can repeatedly Ctrl+click the Moho taskbar icon to restore all the windows.
That also works but minimizing and maximizing is probably faster I guess.