"Slower" a loop ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Giz

"Slower" a loop ?

Post by Giz »

Hello !

I've followed Victor Parades's tutorial on youtube

to animate a character and ended to make a 2s loop.
I really like the result, but I would need it to be... slower.

Would there be a simple way to slower the animation, changing it in a loop of maybe... 4s ?

I've tried manually but as I made a lot of "relative loops" on most of the bones, it sort of break it when I just strech the animation.

Just wanted to know if there was a simple way to alter this, or if should go and re-animate the whole thing from the start. (Which could be a nice exercise too XD)

Thank you for you help !!
SimplSam

Re: "Slower" a loop ?

Post by SimplSam »

Have you tried Animation > Rescale Keyframes. Can be used to shift, shrink or stretch parts or all of the animation.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Giz

Post by Giz »

Thank you for the answer !

I tried and it works... mostly, but It sort of "cut" really slightly the loop.
Maybe I made something wrong on my originals relative loops.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You need to keyframe the ends of the entire loop, and make sure all the looping channels cycle back to the second frame of the loop (Moho 13.5.5 it should do that automatically; in earlier versions you'll have to adjust this yourself.)

So, in the first frame, select all the bones that are animated in the cycle and select Freeze Pose. Then copy these keys and place them at the very end of your cycle.

Now select the same bones keyframes at the very end of your cycle and set them to Cycle. If the Cycle arrow is not pointing to the second frame of the cycle, you need to adjust it. You can do this in the Keyframe window.

Now you can use the keyframes as 'handles' for stretching the re-timing of your cycle. Select all the keys that make up the cycle, then hold Alt and drag the last frame of the selection to the right. This will stretch your animation between the 'handles' proportionately.

Tip: when I'm setting up a cycle, I like to use Freeze Pose wherever I have a key pose withing the cycle. This helps maintain these poses when re-timing the cycle, as well as giving me handles to accurately adjust the animation for non-linear retiming.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Thank you Greenlaw !

I will definitely try this !! I've "moved" a lot of cycles along the animation as the tutorial suggested it to make them look more natural, but it sound safer now to make then start on the very same point in order to extend my loop.
If it works, I'll be able to move them again later ^ ^
Thank you !!