How to increase RAM and CPU usage for Moho? Slow Moho

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SimplSam

Re: How to increase RAM and CPU usage for Moho? Slow Moho

Post by SimplSam »

Hoptoad wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:55 pm I made the "select points" tool active, as shown in your illustration, and I see the "create, delete" and "lasso mode" and so forth, as expected, but not the status bar beneath it.
I don't think there is an option to disable the Status bar. It should be at the Top or Bottom. There is a setting in Preferences > Tools > "Status bar at top of window", which decides.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:07 pm There is a setting in Preferences > Tools > "Status bar at top of window", which decides.
That was it! I'm seeing the FPS now. Thank you for your replies and help.
Trizul96

Post by Trizul96 »

Ty505 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:04 am
Greenlaw wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 am Moho is always pretty speedy here on any computer I run it on. Is it slow for you on any Moho scene or only for a particular project file with this rig?

If it's the latter, I would suspect you're seeing the notorious negative keyframe error. To fix this you should install and run Synthsin75's Find And Delete Negative Keyframes script.

If it's slow all the time, I'm not sure what could be going on. Try decreasing the number of threads being used in the Preferences, that should make more memory available, although I think this will only affect render performance and not UI performance. Another thing to try is to disable GPU Acceleration from Display Options. If it's already disabled, try enabling it. This option can affect UI performance but it depends on the type of content you have in your project and how you've rigged it.

Hope this helps.
It's just a rig made up of a bunch of vector layers. I tried bringing the threads down, that seemed to help a bit. Does having too many bones or target bones cause lag by chance? I just wish there was a way to allocate more processing power to Moho, it's barely using what my PC is capable of.
Yes, I experienced lag when I used too many reference layers and point binding, just trying don't use point binding too much, just combined it with flexi bending or layer bending instead. I create the same question on Facebook and here is the link https://www.facebook.com/10000311967440 ... 853903903/ , Moho app is using CPU more than GPU. One of the good samples in my mind is mohony character from moho library because too many resources for the old CPU. I know it's funny, but try running moho with the smart game booster, I get much better performance in the UI when trying to manipulate bone with a bunch of vector layers, reference Layers, smartbone, etc. Hope it helped you brother.
Ty505

Post by Ty505 »

Trizul96 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:39 pm
Ty505 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:04 am
Greenlaw wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 am Moho is always pretty speedy here on any computer I run it on. Is it slow for you on any Moho scene or only for a particular project file with this rig?

If it's the latter, I would suspect you're seeing the notorious negative keyframe error. To fix this you should install and run Synthsin75's Find And Delete Negative Keyframes script.

If it's slow all the time, I'm not sure what could be going on. Try decreasing the number of threads being used in the Preferences, that should make more memory available, although I think this will only affect render performance and not UI performance. Another thing to try is to disable GPU Acceleration from Display Options. If it's already disabled, try enabling it. This option can affect UI performance but it depends on the type of content you have in your project and how you've rigged it.

Hope this helps.
It's just a rig made up of a bunch of vector layers. I tried bringing the threads down, that seemed to help a bit. Does having too many bones or target bones cause lag by chance? I just wish there was a way to allocate more processing power to Moho, it's barely using what my PC is capable of.
Yes, I experienced lag when I used too many reference layers and point binding, just trying don't use point binding too much, just combined it with flexi bending or layer bending instead. I create the same question on Facebook and here is the link https://www.facebook.com/10000311967440 ... 853903903/ , Moho app is using CPU more than GPU. One of the good samples in my mind is mohony character from moho library because too many resources for the old CPU. I know it's funny, but try running moho with the smart game booster, I get much better performance in the UI when trying to manipulate bone with a bunch of vector layers, reference Layers, smartbone, etc. Hope it helped you brother.
That explains it! I use a ton of point binding! I'll have to give layer binding a try - and the game booster suggestion is brilliant, I'll give that a look as well. Thanks!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Almost everyone uses point binding here. Moho shouldn't be slow for that reason. I recomend you guys follow the advices Greenlaw gave you, specially the "find negative keyframes" script and if that doesn't work I have seen many cases where the problem was corrupted references. Deleting them and creating them again solves that problem.
Ty505

Post by Ty505 »

Daxel wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:37 am Almost everyone uses point binding here. Moho shouldn't be slow for that reason. I recomend you guys follow the advices Greenlaw gave you, specially the "find negative keyframes" script and if that doesn't work I have seen many cases where the problem was corrupted references. Deleting them and creating them again solves that problem.
I tried that, but it didn't find any negative frames when I ran it.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Ty505 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 am
Trizul96 had a good idea testing the official Moho demos, that way if you see the same problem with the demos you can rule out any problem with your specific project.
If the demos work fine, then it's something in your project and I would try the references fix I mentioned, and sharing your project if you can. Are you using 13.5.5? Previous releases had some known problems and fixes.
Trizul96

Post by Trizul96 »

Ty505 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 am
Daxel wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:37 am Almost everyone uses point binding here. Moho shouldn't be slow for that reason. I recomend you guys follow the advices Greenlaw gave you, specially the "find negative keyframes" script and if that doesn't work I have seen many cases where the problem was corrupted references. Deleting them and creating them again solves that problem.
Hi, Please check this https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33546, I have only used about 5-10% CPU Usage and little ram usage but every time I manipulate the bone, it feels so laggy. At first, I expect I have an old CPU, but in my case, it's about the reference layer, I suspect it conflicts with it or something like that. after I found this happening, please check the video https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzh3lyw4mk91o ... 6.mp4?dl=0. After I find out what was happening I try to fix all my reference layers one by one and make sure they did not break again, if so it will make the app so laggy even in your project you only have 4 or 5 reference layers. And sometimes in my case, the reference layer is not broken but in the zero icons frame it's showing that the reference I mentioned about is broken, but actually is not because the reference layer is still working and follow the original layer when I animate it in the main timeline. I don't know if it's a bug or not, or if it's how the app work, but for me to get rid of this matter is fixing my performance on manipulating bone with many resources on it.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Trizul96 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:49 am
Hi, Please check this https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33546, I have only used about 5-10% CPU Usage and little ram usage but every time I manipulate the bone, it feels so laggy. At first, I expect I have an old CPU, but in my case, it's about the reference layer, I suspect it conflicts with it or something like that. after I found this happening, please check the video https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzh3lyw4mk91o ... 6.mp4?dl=0. After I find out what was happening I try to fix all my reference layers one by one and make sure they did not break again, if so it will make the app so laggy even in your project you only have 4 or 5 reference layers. And sometimes in my case, the reference layer is not broken but in the zero icons frame it's showing that the reference I mentioned about is broken, but actually is not because the reference layer is still working and follow the original layer when I animate it in the main timeline. I don't know if it's a bug or not, or if it's how the app work, but for me to get rid of this matter is fixing my performance on manipulating bone with many resources on it.
Yeah that's why I call them corrupted references, because references can be broken or "separated" and still be fine, but corrupted references are something else, clearly a bug and should be fixed. And I have seen many cases where the corrupted reference makes the file way bigger, like 2Mb for example and when I fix the reference layer, the file gets down to 350kb.

I never see anyone talking about this problem but me, but I hope Moho devs are aware of the problem and can solve it for a future vesion because it is the most common cause of severe lag now, even more common than the famous negative keyframes. I saw your video and yeah it looks like the problem may be caused by some conflict between the actions system and the reference system.