Multi-Core rendering not working .

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nabil

Multi-Core rendering not working .

Post by nabil »

whenever im rendering a project larger than 2k in resolution . moho 13.5 uses no more than 1 core. however it uses all cores when rendering a smaller file.
synthsin75

Re: Multi-Core rendering not working .

Post by synthsin75 »

I haven't seen that problem, even rendering at 4K.
nabil

Post by nabil »

Might This help ?
https://imgur.com/a/4P7RjKY
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

How many threads Moho uses to render is set in preferences, not project settings.
nabil

Post by nabil »

i am aware of that i have already set my settings previously to this:
https://imgur.com/a/BC0dqkE
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

6000 pixels is not 2K, that's bigger than 4K. VLC can't even play a file with those dimensions.

Why do you need that high of vertical dimensions?
nabil

Post by nabil »

i need those resolutions for the type of work i am dealing with. it is required from me not to alter the resolutions.
i am sorry for the mistake , i agree 6000 is not even close to 2k, but i really need a solution to this if possible.
Thank you so much for your replies
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

nabil wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:05 am i need those resolutions for the type of work i am dealing with. it is required from me not to alter the resolutions.
That doesn't really tell me anything.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

'Wow, that is huge!

I'm going to guess you're running into a memory issue? As a test, what happens as your gradually reduce the resolutions? Does Moho start to allow more cores? If so, that may be it; you might need more RAM in your computer.

But that's just a guess. I would contact Lost Marble and get their opinion before buying more RAM for your computer.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:16 am 'Wow, that is huge!

I'm going to guess you're running into a memory issue? As a test, what happens as your gradually reduce the resolutions? Does Moho start to allow more cores? If so, that may be it; you might need more RAM in your computer.

But that's just a guess. I would contact Lost Marble and get their opinion before buying more RAM for your computer.
I created a test export of similar dimensions + one of 8K and Moho renders on a single CPU. I also tested earlier Moho versions and they behaved the same. So I suspect that there is some hard-coded logic that determines this. Also not sure if multi-core would actually reap much performance benefit in this scenario.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
nabil

Post by nabil »

Thank you guys for your replies! i guess i have no option but to wait.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

TBH, I'm not seeing any significant benefit to multi-core rendering in the current 13.5 release (20210422) anyway. Weeks ago, I ran benchmarks using the Crustacea project, and there was hardly any difference in render times with different core settings. After testing, I went back to using the defaults settings because I may as well leave the CPUs available for other tasks that can use it.

That said, I'm glad Moho is getting development in this area, and I'm looking forward to trying it again in a future release.
perihelion74

Post by perihelion74 »

Multicore rendering definitely isnt working as it should. I have 32 available threads but using all 32 results in longer render times than if I set my preferences to use only 4.

Running Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16/32 cores/threads)
32Gb RAM

But I think AMD optimisation is being worked on?

/M
Shade

Post by Shade »

perihelion74 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:03 am Multicore rendering definitely isnt working as it should. I have 32 available threads but using all 32 results in longer render times than if I set my preferences to use only 4.

/M
It just doesn't work. I tried to do the same on intel core i7. result is the same. In the task manager, you can see that always used 4 threads , even if more are set in moho
on top of that, assigning more threads increases the render time. especially if the render is not in sequence, then the encoding process increases the most.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I reckon you judge from rendering with cmd-E because only then you'll see the progress window with the cores? How does this compare to using the batch exporter (I have the impression that this is faster, but didn't test it)?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5