*NEW* Animated hide edge tool

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: *NEW* Animated hide edge tool

Post by Greenlaw »

Synthsin75 had moved some of his scripts recently and a few links had gotten broken. He's very good about fixing them once alerted so hopefully he'll see this soon.

Once you get the script, it's pretty awesome. While it's possible to do something like this manually, Synthsin75's script makes it a lot easier. This is one of those features I wish was built into Moho.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

ninonskio wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:51 pm Is there an updated link somewhere or am I missing the actual download link? Im new to this forum so sorry if it sounds ridiculous, but I get a 404 error when clicking the link.
I've updated the first post with this new link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... j8RVx907A2
ninonskio

Post by ninonskio »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:57 pm
ninonskio wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:51 pm Is there an updated link somewhere or am I missing the actual download link? Im new to this forum so sorry if it sounds ridiculous, but I get a 404 error when clicking the link.
I've updated the first post with this new link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... j8RVx907A2
Ahh yeah that worked! Thanks very much, I appreciate your work!
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Awesome script, and it still works in v13.5.

I don't know if this is important or not. . .
In a new project, when I first hide an edge with the script, a bunch of console errors appear.
The names of the switch keyframes on frames 0 and 1 are "0,0,true,0,1..." and it goes on like that for about 50 characters.

I'm still figuring-out how the script works. In one of my test projects, I now have a lot of switch-groups for hide edge. Sometimes I don't get a new switch-group for a while even though I'm hiding a lot of edges, and then I get a new switch-group. What causes a new switch-group to appear? Is it okay to combine all the switch-groups into a folder to tidy-up my layers? It seems okay, but I thought I'd ask.

Is there a "best practices" way to use this script? Anything I should avoid? This script will be pretty handy. Thanks for making it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's been a while since I used this tool but I believe the switch group is being used as a container to hold Animated Hide Edge's keyframe data. There's probably info about this earlier in this thread.

Update: I just checked and, yeah, I guess somebody posted info about this before. :D

Here: viewtopic.php?p=183395#p183395
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:42 am Awesome script, and it still works in v13.5.

I don't know if this is important or not. . .
In a new project, when I first hide an edge with the script, a bunch of console errors appear.
The names of the switch keyframes on frames 0 and 1 are "0,0,true,0,1..." and it goes on like that for about 50 characters.
I'm not able to replicate that here. If you have specific steps, I can try again.
I'm still figuring-out how the script works. In one of my test projects, I now have a lot of switch-groups for hide edge. Sometimes I don't get a new switch-group for a while even though I'm hiding a lot of edges, and then I get a new switch-group. What causes a new switch-group to appear? Is it okay to combine all the switch-groups into a folder to tidy-up my layers? It seems okay, but I thought I'd ask.

Is there a "best practices" way to use this script? Anything I should avoid? This script will be pretty handy. Thanks for making it.
The tools needs a separate switch layer for each vector layer you use it on. Right now, this switch needs to stay in the same group as the vector layer, but you can move them all to the bottom of the group.

I have other things in the works right now, but I do have plans to revisit this tool. When I do, I'll include the ability to group all switches
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Okay. I just created a new project containing only a star shape. I used translate layer to move it 48 frames. I moved the playhead to the 24th frame and clicked the script button, then I clicked on an edge of the star to hide it.

I immediately got the usual message about not moving the script-group, and also a lua console window that said, "...138:bad argument #1 to 'ipairs' (table expected, got nil)". The message was repeated around 20-30 times. The edge did not get hidden, by the way, but it did get hidden when I clicked it again. The tool continued to work from this point on.

I think this tool should part of core Moho. For Pete's sake, it's literally a new form of animation.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:24 am Okay. I just created a new project containing only a star shape. I used translate layer to move it 48 frames. I moved the playhead to the 24th frame and clicked the script button, then I clicked on an edge of the star to hide it.

I immediately got the usual message about not moving the script-group, and also a lua console window that said, "...138:bad argument #1 to 'ipairs' (table expected, got nil)". The message was repeated around 20-30 times. The edge did not get hidden, by the way, but it did get hidden when I clicked it again. The tool continued to work from this point on.
Still not able to replicate the problem, but that error gave me something to go on.
Try this new version and see if it still spits this error:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... j8RVx907A2
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:49 am Try this new version and see if it still spits this error...
I replaced the script, refreshed Moho, started a new test project and got the same console error, except the number was 139 this time.

I'm on a Mac. Sometimes that matters, so I thought I'd mention it.

EDIT

Wait a sec. I might've made a mistake.

Re-testing.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:49 am Try this new version and see if it still spits this error:
That did the trick. No lua error. :D

Thanks!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:26 am
synthsin75 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:49 am Try this new version and see if it still spits this error:
That did the trick. No lua error. :D

Thanks!
NIce! Thanks for catching that bug. It never showed up on my end, so I'm glad my guess fixed it.
BigBoiiiJones

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

Does this work in v14?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No idea. I haven't had time to test a lot of scripts.
BigBoiiiJones

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:38 am No idea. I haven't had time to test a lot of scripts.
It seems to work 🙂 However the keyframes on the timeline look darker and kind of faded compared to normal keyframes and I don't recall it doing that in 13.5 however aside from that it seems to be functional however I did not do extensive testing just the bare minimum to see if it functions so I'm unsure if there is any hidden issues that aren't surface level.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks for testing it out. I'll give a whirl this weekend, just to be sure.