Hide keyframes that were made from specific bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mystd

Hide keyframes that were made from specific bones

Post by mystd »

I have the following problem I've animated the right arm with bones and since there is a lot of repetition I copy and pasted the keyframes. Now I want to animate the left arm but on the bone layer timeline everything is full with the right arms points. How do I hide those so I can animate the left arm in the same manner?
new account: brahrah
mystd

Re: Hide keyframes that were made from specific bones

Post by mystd »

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm7Mb8sVwLU and it explains really well what I need to do.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I do most of my editing in the red channels just below the white global ones. This red channels show keyframes for only the selected bones. It's probably the most useful channel for animation because it lets you focus on what you're currently animating.

(The global ones are more useful for general re-timing for all the bones--I tend to use it for initial blocking of animation and for making timing tweaks to finished animations.)

If you need to break down the keyframes even more specifically, try color coding the bones; the timeline can display channels based on bone color. For example, if you color code the left arm bones green, you'll only see left arm keyframes in the green channel.

Also remember that you can now show keyframes for other layers and groups at the same time in separate channels alongside the bones keyframes. This can be useful when keyframing a squash and stretch pass on group layers and you want to sync it to specific bones keyframes.
mystd

Post by mystd »

Thanks color coding them is a lot better. It's still really hard to keep track of everything, would be nice to have an option to see all (stacked) keyframes. Maybe something like a tree view that can be opened and collapsed. Since bones are all on one layer it's very cumbersome to work with them on the timeline. And always having to select the bones one by one to see the keyframes is really timeconsuming. I'd rather have all of the keyframes on the timeline on top of each other like the layers are shown now in moho 12. That would speed up things a lot and give a better overview.

I just realized that color coding the bones if every bone has a different color it's exactly what I wanted XD

There are just not enough colors if you use a lot of bones like when a character has wobbly arms and legs and each limb has 5 bones in it the color coding isn't good enough.