import 3d animations?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

import 3d animations?

Post by BA »

being able to integrate 3d models with 2d vectors is an awesome and highly potent feature of Moho, especially combined with Moho's 3D camera system...

but what if your 3d model has some aspect of animation to it? Is there, or will there ever possibly be, some way of bringing in a model which has been animated in whatever 3d program in which it was made?

if there was, it would make it possible to do so much more...

as an example I want to use some 3D buildings as a set in Moho, but they have machines with moving parts attached to them.

any hope Lost Marble? Or should I look into other 3D compositing solutions?
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Sounds interesting, but probably not something to expect anytime soon. You'd have better luck rendering out the 3D sequence in your 3D software as a movie file, and compositing that in Moho as an image layer. I think someone has a script to convert back and forth between Moho and Maya camera movements.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Not sure if this is of potential interest (I don't know enough to say) but this product http://www.fragmosoft.com/ is a $20 3d modeling and animation program that allows you to create plugins with LUA. Not sure if that fact makes it any easier for the scripters to find a way to move stuff back and forth ....
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
BA

Post by BA »

it's too bad...

I was playing around with the camera and a 3d set (containing a 2d character) the other night, and was thrilled by the possibilities... The types of camera moves and angles you could pull off with ease would make for some incredibly cool and stylized animation.

but without some 3D animation (and z-buffering would really help too, to be able to put moho objects INSIDE models), chances are I won't be able to use this feature. Compositing the scene before or after animation is a possibility, but eliminates the extreme coolness that could be achieved with a unified camera system.

I'm using Max to do the 3D, so the Maya camera import/export tool won't help...

What about exporting an animation as an .obj sequence? Would that make any sense, or would it just create a huge mountain of files and crash moho?
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com