Freehand drawing tool in Moho 5.3.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Tried the latest version of the freehand drawing tool in Moho 5.3.
I drew a line using a drawing tablet. Had width of line set at min 1, max 12.
Then I used the Line Width tool to reduce the width of the line.
Then I used the Line Width tool to expand the width of the line back to the original size.
The line lost its original width and tapered look. The line width tool made most to the line the same width.

Click to view larger image.

If one uses the line width tool and makes the line width around 0 or 0 then widens the line back up the entire line now has the same width along the length of the line; losing all it´s characteristics of varied widths.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

yes I noticed that too, it wold be nice if it kept the proportions
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Not really a bug. Think of a photo: First brighten a photo until parts of it turn completely white. Then darken the photo - you won't get the details back in the white areas - they'll all just be a solid shade of gray.

Zero is the minimum line width. When you narrow down multiple points so that they're all at zero, you're forcing them all to be the same width (zero). Then, when you increase the width later, they're all starting at the same point (again, zero).

If you drag the Line Width tool from side to side without letting go of the mouse, the widths don't get clipped like this - the tool remembers the starting line widths. However, once you let go of the mouse button, the new widths get finalized, and some points that didn't used to have the same width might now all have equal widths of zero.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

It may not be a bug, but it is bad news for the artist.

I draw my object in Moho with the freehand drawing tool. I have several different lines in the drawing. I want to make them thinner so I have to use the Line Width Tool to change them.
Later I want to change them back or to a different width.
I can´t. The drawing is ruined. I have to start over.

How can the artist adjust the Freehand tool line width in Moho?

And this is not how vector drawings work in other vector programs. Make the lines smaller, make them bigger, the proportions stay the same in other vector drawing programs.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

HI! You always can do an Action with the proper line width or save a Keyframe where you want to can copy and paste then to recover the desired point widths... I think that there are several solutions and I agree with LM in his explanation, Moho (thanks God!) treat the line width in a different way than other vector programs and for get that you wish it'd be necessary something like... width memory? I mean, points should remember width factors of the past :?, or something like this... Seems interesting but complicated, I think that maybe this could not be factible and can be better resolve this kind of problems in the way that I said above or other new ways... CIAO!
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Sounds too complicated to me Ramon. :D
myles

Post by myles »

Possibly a feature request - reduce the line width to negative values rather than stopping at 0, and just don't draw any width <= 0?
Although it may slow down screen redrawing (and rendering) a bit, since it is adding in an extra test for every point.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Hmmm, still thinking... yes... could be, so well... I think that if could be possible a definitive auto solution for LM part for users don't worry about it, it'd be nice...but for now, I think the keyframes solution could be a help... hmmm :? (I think)
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

myles wrote:Possibly a feature request - reduce the line width to negative values rather than stopping at 0, and just don't draw any width <= 0?
:shock: WOW!!! DEFINITELY a very good and SIMPLE possible solution! I think LM could like that (I think :roll:), to my it seems perfect :) ...THANKS myles for think so well and quick ;) ...BYE!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

myles wrote:Possibly a feature request - reduce the line width to negative values rather than stopping at 0, and just don't draw any width <= 0?
Unfortunately, line widths less than zero have a special meaning - that no line width is set at that particular point, and it should use the line width of the overall shape instead.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

:( ...PITY! It seemed (to me) the best/more easy solution...
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Lost Marble wrote:
Unfortunately, line widths less than zero have a special meaning - that no line width is set at that particular point, and it should use the line width of the overall shape instead.
Would you consider using imaginary numbers instead?
line width 3, 2, 1, 0, i, 2i, 3i ...
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

LM - what is your recommendation for changing the width of lines using the Freehand Drawing tool?

If during an animation I change the line from any width to real thin then go back again the line has lost all/most of its original characteristics.

Click here to watch
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

You could always copy and paste a keyframe from the beginning of the animation to get the original line widths back.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

LM - What´s your recommendation for the artist who draws a character with many freehand tool lines in it, then wants to change the width of the lines within the character?
If one reduces the line too far it loses all it´s characteristics and can´t be widened again.

----------