Do you use a tablet?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pestoking

Do you use a tablet?

Post by pestoking »

If you are not doing freehand sketches or hand drawing, do you still find using a tablet is a benefit with Anime Studio?
GCharb

Re: Do you use a tablet?

Post by GCharb »

pestoking wrote:If you are not doing freehand sketches or hand drawing, do you still find using a tablet is a benefit with Anime Studio?
I find that a small tablet, like a Wacom Bamboo or a monoprice, makes navigation faster then a mouse, but depending on the steadiness of your hand, a mouse might be more precise!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When I'm actually drawing or painting, I prefer to use a tablet. Otherwise, I tend to prefer a mouse but I'm trying to change that now (more on that below.) I'm not a big fan of track pads like the one found on many laptops--much prefer even a mouse to those things.

Recently, I got a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2, which of course has Pen input but also has ten-point touch. Additionally, I added a BT Mouse and Keyboard. Depending on where I'm working and what I'm doing, it's been convenient to have all options available, but I'm also trying to simplify my workflow and making adjustments. In the past few weeks of working on this computer, I've been trying to get comfortable using the stylus or touch interface instead of the mouse. For keyboard though, I still rather use a physical keyboard--speed typing on a virtual keyboard is just too irritating, even when it's in full size mode. But when physical desk space is not available, I'm glad to have the virtual option.

I've been using ASP for over a year and a half now, and until recently, I preferred using a mouse with it. This is mainly because I did not like how the freehand drawing tool worked in ASP so I simply did not bother with it, and when plotting points and curves I felt I had more control using a mouse.

However, thanks to the new drawing tools in ASP 11, that's changing for me now. I think over time, I may switch over to the stylus completely for ASP because it's just not very efficient to switch frequently between the stylus and mouse. I'm beginning to feel I should just pick one (the stylus) and stick with it. Fortunately, I'm getting the hang of using the Stylus for doing everything in ASP.

My wife and some friends swear to using a stylus over a mouse as their primary input device (even when animating and modeling in 3D.) I'm told that using the stylus helps prevent CTS because they're using the whole arm and not just small movements of the wrist.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Yes.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I want to, but the ASP interface doesn't scale, and the application is unusable, for me, on the tablet because of it. Which is a real shame...
pestoking

Post by pestoking »

Greenlaw wrote:However, thanks to the new drawing tools in ASP 11, that's changing for me now. I think over time, I may switch over to the stylus completely for ASP because it's just not very efficient to switch frequently between the stylus and mouse. I'm beginning to feel I should just pick one (the stylus) and stick with it. Fortunately, I'm getting the hang of using the Stylus for doing everything in ASP.
G.
Though I find the mouse to be very precise and fast, I am interested in exploring the benefits of a tablet (in case I might be missing out). What new drawing tools are you referring to in ASP 11 over ASP 10 that would make you consider switching completely over to a tablet? I have been using ASP 10 and just upgraded to 11, but haven't spent much time with it.
digitalhyper

Post by digitalhyper »

I use a tablet for everything, including surfing the web. I haven't had any trouble using it for Anime Studio Pro. I'm still using an old Wacom Intous 3 at 9x12. It's still a great tablet.. looks like they are going for around $100 on ebay and worth it. I left the mouse a long time ago.
Jamie Byers Animation Generalist
http://www.digitalhyper.com
Windows 11 PRO 64 bit
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz, 128 GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 & RTX 4080, Wacom Cintiq 16 with Loupedeck Live
Moho Pro 14
After Effects, Premier, Illustrator, Photoshop, 3DS Max, Mudbox and Mocha Pro
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

pestoking wrote:What new drawing tools are you referring to in ASP 11 over ASP 10 that would make you consider switching completely over to a tablet? I have been using ASP 10 and just upgraded to 11, but haven't spent much time with it.
I'm mainly referring to the freehand drawing and editing tools. At first glance, they appear to be the same tools we had in 10 but the devs have made significant improvements for freehand drawing in 11. If you haven't watched the recent webinars and tutorial videos for 11, be sure to check them out. They cover the improvements very thoroughly.

I wouldn't say freehand drawing in ASP 11 has been perfected but it's become quite practical and useful now. Combined with the ability to draw directly in an FBF layer makes using a drawing tablet with ASP much more desirable now.

Also, like my wife and friends, I want to switch over to fulltime stylus or touch for the health reason describe above. I tend to develop RSD problems when working for hours creating mattes in compositing programs like Fusion, Nuke or After Effects, and constructing splines in ASP has a very similar effect.

IMO, even if I'm using the stylus to manually plot points and edit shapes (as opposed to freehand drawing,) it should reduce stress on my hand and wrist.

We'll see how it goes. I'm actually still switching a lot between the stylus and mouse--after all, this is a very old habit to break. :)

G.
pestoking

Post by pestoking »

Thanks, very helpful insights. I think I may switch gears and get a tablet after comparing drawing with a mouse in 10 vs the new features in 11.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

http://www.davidrevoy.com/?article30/er ... cs-tablets

I have a 12wx and I mount a thin wood drawing pad as the base and put the keyboard above the the cintiq, and then mount the drawing board on the sliding pull out tray.

I also have a spare intuos 3 9x12 that I am itching to turn it into a DIY cintiq some day.

I saw this and decide to make my own way of propping it up.
http://www.gizmotweak.com/index.html
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, that's really clever. Since I got the Compantion 2, I'm giving my 12WX to my wife. I'll have to show her what you did with yours.

G.