Boss Battles

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

xothermik

Boss Battles

Post by xothermik »

hi guys, been working freelance on a sprite amination series called "Boss Battles". this is the first time im working as a sprite animator and the experience is interesting so far. i took over as the show's animator from the second episode which was done normally with script audio mixdown and all assets and the general idea established. i experienced some restraints in timing due to the fact that i was animating fight scenes to an already edited audio mixdown. the show's producers decided to adopt a new format which would give me freedom to animate the battles to my own timing and ideas. i animate 2 battle scenes, the writers write dialogues in between and i do the dialogue scenes as well as any additional animation and adjustments later. i am currently done animating the battles for what i suspect is a season and now going over the dialogue and finishing of the episodes.
here are the ones currently released on the yotube.

GLaDOS vs. Mother Brain - Boss Battles #2

Sonic vs. Metroid - Boss Battles ep. 3

any suggestions or tips on sprite animations would be welcome :D
Telemacus

Re: Boss Battles

Post by Telemacus »

I found boss battles #2 unbearable. Yes, the graphics are brilliant, but I couldn't stand it because the characters have "no soul". I think for any animation to work well, there must be some empathy between at least one of the characters and the audience. Here, I felt nothing.
I watched one of your other videos, the one about Nigerians, and I thought that was OUTSTANDING. 10/10!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4Ou87VtFvM
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Was this done in Anime Studio? If so it's a very unique use of it.

That said, the camera work, particularly in the first one, was virtually nauseating. It seemed to reflect the "constantly moving and shaking" camera work of most movies now, and no one anywhere likes that. Also, needless cursing, even when bleeped, ruins anything.

It's a cool concept, it just needs a bit of a polish.
~Danimal
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

@Danimal yes it was done in anime studio. and indeed i was going for the guerrilla filming style wit the shaky cam. you dont have to worry much about it as i am not using it anymore for the show :D . as for the cursing, sorry i cant help you because i only receive recorded audio files and scripts to animate. thanks for you feedback

@Telemacus i know right. i know there was a lot wrong with the dialogue scenes of episode two and had to even re do a lot of stuff. its partly why im here looking for tips on how to make it better. i am glad you liked my immigration video clip. it was done like 3 years ago and was one of my first finished videos. :D