New project for each scene?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wlan

New project for each scene?

Post by wlan »

I am creating a 30 second shot of New York in Anime Studio and I will want multiple scenes such as closeups, crane shots and fly overs. After many solitary months with Anime Studio Pro 6, I have learned many new techniques. Now, for my main question: For each new scene, do I have to create a new project? I know that I can copy characters to new projects but can I simply create a new scene or sequence within the project? Also, if I do interviews, what do you do for the set in the background? Do you create a new set for each angle or do you keep one image and rotate it? I have seen shows made with ToonBoom such as Family Guy and the Simpsons that have complex camera movements. I hear that ToonBoom is similar so I thought the techniques used would be similar to those used in Anime Studio. I can't watch those shows without going crazy over thinking about all of the work that the animators of those shows had to do. Also, is there any complex article on here about depth of field? I want to focus on the background and do a jib shot down to focus on a person. I can't figure out how to turn on or off immune to d.o.f. during the middle of a project.

P.S. When I render a final sequence through Adobe Premiere Pro, I notice a loss of quality, even when I export it as HD AVI. I import my clip from AS as a HD AVI. I just wanted to see if this was a common problem. I use NTSC here in the states. I am going on and on but I am sick today so I thought I might ask some questions. :oops: Finally, when I orbit around my project,the 3d seems to be very and I mean VERY extreme. I can't orbit around the project without the layers stretching to the camera or the layers jumping in front of one another. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? I have seen people who use ToonBoom orbit their workspace and the 3d seems very proportional and not have any of these extreme angles. When I feel better, I will post a screen shot of both programs orbiting the workspace and how they differ. Thanks for reading.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

If you have a video editing program to edit scenes together, then I can't think of any major advantage to keeping multiple complex scenes in one file. Breaking it up makes it easier to work with. For example, I don't think you can change layer properties like immunity to dof in the timeline. So it makes sense to break it into two files.

The 3D rotation will be extreme or slight based on the camera's position with respect to the subject. This is just the way perspective works. If the eye/camera is very close to the subject, there will be a lot of perspective distortion. If the eye/camera is further from the subject, there is less perspective distortion. The default in Anime Studio has the camera pretty close to the picture plane. So if you want to decrease the distortion, try placing the camera much further back and zoom in to compensate for the size.

Hope you feeling better soon!
wlan

Post by wlan »

Ok, I see what you mean. If I have 3 different camera angles for a 30 second scene, do I have to create 3 anime studio project files to my computer? I understand that you can import characters and scenery but I don't want to save many project files on my computer. I like to be simple. :roll: Also, for the 3d, when I rotate around a background or any other 2d object, the object "stretches" to the camera. I use other 3d programs so I know what you mean but anime studio is simply making it unrealistic. Layers jump in front of one another, and if I draw a circle and move the camera, the circle stretches to the camera looking like a triangle instead of slightly increasing on one side to look like an ellipse. Thanks.
wlan

Post by wlan »

It just seems like the perspective is very distorted but I guess it will have to do. The only reason I asked is that I do many minute scenes ranging from 5 sec. to 45 sec. to create a larger more complex scene. Do you recommend making a folder for each project? However, the layers do jump around in orbit view and that is a bit of a concern.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

wlan wrote: when I rotate around a background or any other 2d object, the object "stretches" to the camera..
This is due to the "focal length" of the camera. Back the camera off and set the zoom in to compensate - the problem will go away.

I use a X0 | Y0 | Z6 for the camera track and a camera zoom value of 60 - this feels much more like a normal camera: Indeed, I use this for creating S2D (stereo 2D) scenes. The keystoning (the stretching you see), is virtually eliminated with those settings.

Hope this helps.

Rhoel
wlan

Post by wlan »

What about when I am in orbit view?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Orbit view ist just a work view, not meant to be rendered.
wlan

Post by wlan »

I know. However, if I rotate around layers, some will jump in front, behind, or disappear and if I hit reset view, the layers that disappeared or moved will stay that way. Here are some examples. I didn't manipulate any layers. I only rotated around the project.
Original

Orbit View

Layers Jumping in Orbit View

Perspective Distortion
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Try turning off Sort Layers by Depth, in Projects Settings - should stop the layer jumping - that said, it's usually just a display problem in the Work Area, which normally doesn't show in Render.

Mike side tihs is a floating point error which caused me a big headache in Machine Masters: THe solution he suggested as to move any vital layer forward by 0.000something - just enough to confuse the renderer, but not enough to be visible.

Rhoel