Building a single shadow out of multiple image layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cableon

Building a single shadow out of multiple image layers

Post by cableon »

Hello all,

I am an ASP newbie, so I'm afraid I might ask very basic questions for a while (most probably after a quick search through the forum search engine though).

To start with, I am looking for a simple and efficient way to build and coordinate shadows made of image layers : should I duplicate and rotate the original image layers, as with the vector method shown in the tutorial ? How do I then "blacken" them once duplicated please ?
Or should I first duplicate and blacken my images out of ASP ?
Is there an even simpler and more accurate method ?

Hoping I'm making myself clear...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You want to use the same images for say a character, as your shadow layers by "distorting" or moving them correct?

If that is the case you would need to create new artwork that is "black" (AS can't edit images so you have to use an image editor for this). Duplicate the images you used and then just fill them with black. You won't be able to "soften" the edges though unless you do that to the images. You may get "fringies" around the image layers on top. That depends on how you created the transparency for the images.

Another option is to use the images as masks for a black vector layer. You will need to become familar with the concept of masking to do this. Duplicate the image layers and use a big black filled vector shape on a layer above the image "shadow" layers. Set the masking for the bone/group to "hide all" and the images to "add to mask but keep invisible" and set the shadow vector layer to "mask this layer". That will produce the "black" shadow without having to create a second set images for the shadows.

One more option that you may find easier is to create those shadow layers by roughly tracing the image layers in AS then use that vector layer as the shadows.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i was trying to figure out how to do it, i tought it was possible changing the layer blending method, but i couldn't.
i don't know if you know about masking, but think you should do this:

- Duplicate your image.
- Create a group layer and put inside the duplicated image layer.
- Rotate it on X axis to give it perpective.
- Create a new vector layer, draw a rectangle and paint it black. put the vector layer inside the group.
- Order the layers this way:
->Group layer
---->vector layer
---->image layer
- Open the group propieties (double click) and choose "hide all" in the mask tab.
- Open the image propieties and choose "+clear the mask, then add this layer to it"

now you have a black shadow (you can give to the group layer transparency or blur).

i hope it be useful.
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Just a tip:

Blurring an image layer will increase the render times. If you need a soft edge shadow you are better off creating new images or using a soft edge fill shape without the images.

-vern
cableon

Post by cableon »

Thanks Vern and Selgin!

I tried duplicating the original layers and masking them (adding the big vector shadow), and it does work indeed!

Rotating and resizing the shadow properly is quite a hard trick though if you want to respect perspective laws (and your own lightning) : even by rotating the orbit around the workspace -- working in "3D" this way isn't very easy either... or maybe I am lacking a little experience here.

Thanks anyway!