Improved Rendering - coming soon

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like gap filling is best left off by default, so that's probably what we'll do.

Aside from the gap filling, be sure to let us know about any problems you see - anything that doesn't render how you expect we want to know about.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Lost Marble wrote:so that's probably what we'll do.
Lost Marble wrote:be sure to let us know
Lost Marble wrote:we want to know about
:?: ...LM! Does it Means that you have find your better half (marble) at last??? :D Or maybe you are (as Gollum is :wink:) a schizophrenic person? ...Jaja, SORRY! :roll: But seems "logic" because only the possibility of contain several person(ality)s in only one body will explain how you can do ALL that MARVELOUS things :) CIAO! (and THANKS! :D )

PS: By the way... don't mention it! :)
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Still renders look fine, but I wanted see how things look animated.
Here´s a quickie Flash movie to test fine lines, fills, long fingers, etc, etc. as they move around.
(With no gap setting.)
This is an imported Adobe Illlustrator file using shapes and brush strokes.

Flash rendered at 320 x 240, 24 fps.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/7646188552277296/lllh320/
Click on link to see movie.

Everything looks a lot sharper and none of the smudge of what Moho did in previous versions.

I guess the question will be when would one want to have the gap setting on.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Again. Mucho gracias, toontoonz!
Now this looks like it always was meant to look like 8)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Toontoonz: The link you posted is a Flash movie, so Moho's renderer is not used. If you export as QuickTime or AVI, then Moho's renderer will be used. If you want to do a comparison, try QT or AVI.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Ramón: Yes, I think he might be a little schizophrenic...
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Lost Marble wrote:Ramón: Yes, I think he might be a little schizophrenic...
hehe, very clever reply from him 8)

And not so a clever comment i made above cause i didnt "check" it was a flash :oops:
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

LM, Thanks for the tip regarding rendering in QT - I had forgot that in my testing.
Soooo----here are a couple of new ones - both Quick Time movies.
Each about 0.71 Mb in size.

In Adobe Illustrator I drew lots of circles and ovals within each other and lots of lines crossing and intersecting to form gaps and spaces to see how well Moho could handle them and keep everything distinct, clear and not smudged together.

Both animations are 240 x 180 - I made them small because I wanted to see the quality at an abnormally small movie screen size.
One is with Gap Filling OFF and the other with Gap filling ON to compare the difference.

Moho Render Tests

Looks good - a very big improvement over earlier Moho rendering capabilities.
cribble

Post by cribble »

I'm actually excited by this release. Sorry for being late at getting onto it, but i'm sure i'll give it a bash on my next animation (or when i convert the current for DVD).

Love you.... honest!

Is there a "on-the-fly" line renderer for when you're drawing for this next release?

Cheers
--Scott
cribble.net
mortschultz

Post by mortschultz »

does anyone know why, with this new rendering test version, my shapes HAVE gaps whereas they did not in prior versions? an example would be on the knee of a character. the thigh is one shape and shin is another. there used to just be a very faint line at the knee because of the anti-aliasing (which i was hoping would be fixed with this) but now i get a rather noticable gap at the knee whether the gap setting is on or off. any ideas anybody? thanks
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

mortschultz: Keep in mind this is not an official release. These are exactly the kind of problems we're trying to find and eliminate before the new renderer is finished. Can you post a link to your Moho file, or email it to support@lostmarble.com so that we can take a look?
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I was reviewing my animation I made above - this time rendered at a higher screen size (640 x 480) and it seems there is a situation of sorts.
I took the animation and zoomed in on one section.
With Gap filling ON - I noticed that where the colored rectangle shapes cross or intersect there is still a slight, faint, but noticieable gap between some of the squares.
It almost seems like an optical illusion - the first frames are okay, then as the animation progresses one can see these faint white lines between the shapes then at the end they are gone (except for maybe one or two).

With Gap filling OFF the gaps are very definite and seen all the way through the animation.
norco

particles render in the RT version?

Post by norco »

The RT version seems to have a problem with the particles, it doesn`t render any particles, although it displays them corectly in the workspace. Any solution?
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Toontoonz wrote: Both animations are 240 x 180 - I made them small because I wanted to see the quality at an abnormally small movie screen size.
One is with Gap Filling OFF and the other with Gap filling ON to compare the difference.

Moho Render Tests

Looks good - a very big improvement over earlier Moho rendering capabilities.
Yes, a good test again and now i even more prefer the gap filling to be off by default.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Wanted to check the rendering of different particles to see how the quality looks compared to previous version of Moho.

I concur with norco above - particles don´t always render in the new version.
In Moho one can see them, but when one exports the animation to render a QT and AVI movie the particles do not show up.
I am using QT 7.03
However, the particles show up in a Flash render.

---------
The particles don´t show up in a JPEG or BMP render. (Don´t remember if they did in previous version.)

They do show up in a PNG and PSD render.