Soft Focus

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

dm wrote:"cutoutville" isn't directed at AS.
I know. It's spread much further than AS, unfortunately. All that AfterFX animation, all that Flash stuff belongs there. All that cheap motion graphic, all that pay-less-than-acceptable-to-the-animator children's TV stuff, all those Powerpoint transitions (bleagh), all that "hey, it moves, so it is animation!" crap on youtube as well as on TV.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

I've ordered some original Anime production cels off of ebay (they are surprisingly cheap), and I'm going to scan them in and compare them to corresponding frame captures from the same Anime DVD. Then we'll have a definitive answer to what sort of defocusing effects are done on the cels and try and come up with a way to do it digitally.

By the way, I love those examples that you posted, Chucky. It definitely shows that digital animation doesn't have to look digital.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Good point about grain Slowtiger, noise is great for breaking up that digital sharpness for a more chemical, analogue look.
AS is a digital tool after all but there are many reasons to evoke the appearance of a different recording medium like film or video, or just ease off that perfect flatness of an AS render.

Old hands would know this but on the topic of film grain, noise and such, Noobsters might want to try the Anime built in noise which does a pretty good job and very quickly too.
I prefer to do this in post for the sake of flexibility but , here are the results of an ASPRO render with (a little exaggerated) noise and the settings I used.

P.S. Thanks Rudiger :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

as an aside, Planet Terror was by Robert Rodriguez, but released as a double bill with QT's 'Death Proof'... :)
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Ew Chuck your cursor has been infested with some kind of space barnacle.