Rose Agent Released - Newest Anime Studio Character

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

VidE

Post by VidE »

As a newbie, I'm finding the flash movies very valuable. Just the idea of starting out a face from a square instead of an oval and using the curvature tool, (OK, I know this is not a big deal, but it is interesting to see someone elses' approach). And I had always added eyes and eyelids on top of a 'face' shape, instead of cutting out a hole. I'm not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are to either approach yet, but it does have me thinking.

So thanks for the 'making of'. I would love to see some more, especially with someone talking about the 'why's' of what they are doing.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey VidE - think of it this way... our eyes and mouth ARE holes arnt they? and under them sit our eye balls and teeth etc. The advantage of using holes is that the bits thet go underneith dont have to be masked any other way. :)

However, saying that, there are comic styles (including mine sometimes) where big 'ball' eyes that pop out of the face are necessary... for this i would put them on top, but for eyes that sit on teh face, and mouths especially, i would use the hole method all day long. :)
VidE

Post by VidE »

Hey Funk. Thanks fo the response. Yeah, I can see where being able to move the cornea/pupil around to the edges (and past) wihout some sort of external mask would also be handy.

Nonetheless, I find Roses' artists' approach suprising in other ways as well. It seems, for example, that many AS artists are for using seperate layers for facial parts and yet in this construction, the face is all on one layer.

Most of my work has been either 3D or Motion Graphics, my actual drawing skills are close to nil. Intimidated but excited. Right now I'm using the demo, can't wait to afford the actual program.
artfx

Post by artfx »

I always do the entire face in one layer. And as regards morphing, with a model setup with well placed morphs, point animation can be very easy and you have a surprising range of motion in a character.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!