Team needed

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ProjectDavinci

Team needed

Post by ProjectDavinci »

I am looking for the following people to join my animation team.
Riggers
Clothes modelers
VFX animators (hair, cloth, fluid, etc.)
Texture Painters

You would be using autodesk maya for rigging and effects

You must also be able to work for free
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Some advice: Don’t post what you need for free, but a link to a web page telling how grate your projects is, story line, art work, production quality, etc. Then slam the artist that it work for credit (free).

Dale
touchdown

Post by touchdown »

I agree.

If you're not getting paid, don't call it work. Call it volunteering.
Try Craigslist.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Anime Studio Pro costs $200... how many on THIS particular forum have a copy of Maya just lying around... waiting for a free job to pop up? ;) Unless you are providing the licenses and training?

dueyftw is correct. You need to inspire people. There is absolutely no incentive to sign up for this. Based on the info they could just sit around drinking beer and eating chips in front of the TV.... that's free.

The people I know who successfully get others to work for free create an atmosphere of excitement about the project. Or the project was created by the people involved. Working on these things is hard even when you do get paid.

-vern
chucky

What a nerve

Post by chucky »

This kind of thing makes my blood 'simmer'.
DaVinci huh? :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:
Why don't you work for me.... for free?
I'm sure I could think of something for you to do.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Last edited by chucky on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

heyvern wrote:Based on the info they could just sit around drinking beer and eating chips in front of the TV.... that's free.
Technically speaking, that isn't free, Vern. Beer and chips DO cost money to buy.

The only reason an artist would do something for free (or less) is to put it on his/her resume. A gig for a famous company or charitable institution you approve of would possibly be such a thing. A project without a specified budget by an unproven director doesn't fit into that category.

If you have nothing to offer in return, you should compensate animators for their efforts.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Team needed

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ProjectDavinci wrote:You must also be able to work for free
Where do I sign?
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

selgin wrote:
Where do I sign?
The email@projectdavinci.com is/was, in fact, an AOL user domain with no site attached. It really inspired confidence ...request for 3D people on a 2D site, no supporting information, etc.

The comments above are a good lesson for others wanting help with projects.

Rhoel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Rhoel wrote:
selgin wrote:
Where do I sign?
The email@projectdavinci.com is/was, in fact, an AOL user domain with no site attached. It really inspired confidence ...request for 3D people on a 2D site, no supporting information, etc.

thanks, but actually I have tried to be sarcastic, :oops: it´s hard for me...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I still don't understand why Chucky dredged up an old forgotten post that only a few people posted to to start some kind of rant.

This same thing happens every time someone asks for free work and to date I've never seen one actually finished or produce anything as a result (not that I produce much but I'm not asking for volunteers).

p.s.
Creating a volunteer project and finishing it is like... someone trying to lose 400 lbs. Imagine the amount of dedication and effort required. Imagine how easy to give up and just quit. You might lose 75 lbs and feel like you've done so much and it's time for a break but you aren't even CLOSE to the end yet. Think of the pain and sacrifice involved. AND you aren't getting paid to do it. The results can be just as satisfying but everyone involved has to remain committed for a long time.

-vern
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

selgin wrote:
Rhoel wrote:
selgin wrote: Where do I sign?

thanks, but actually I have tried to be sarcastic, :oops: it´s hard for me...
Understood: My point was for other people who want to float a request for help on projects: Project daVinci was not the way to do it. There are lessons to be learned here.

Maybe the biggest is, don't ask for free help ;-)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Oh, I think there are projects that are grandiose enough that people flock to them, and give some of their time and expertise without pay. Otherwise, many open source projects would never fly, nor would it be possible to organize large events with lots of attendees (those float on volunteers). However, there always has to be something to gain for the individual:
  • get even with the big monopolistic competitor (in the software business that would be Microsoft, at this moment)
  • improve your chops (improved skill set)
  • improve your chances to be hired (by putting this project on your resume)
  • meet interesting people
  • help the community to become a better place to be in
  • etc.
In short: there is no such thing as a free lunch. Everyone has a price, and that doesn't have to be expressed in hard cash.

However, none of this really applies here. For all we know, it is just a lot of hot air, and nothing substantial. We can't check, because there even isn't a basic website with project information.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I'm a little slow on reading the posts, I guess Vern, I also thought it might encourage the next Job poster to think before offering such an awesome opportunity.
I probably saw it at the top of the list and didn't check the date,but now I'm answering a rhetorical question, I must be a nut. :shock:
There, I toned it down a bit, with a few less smilies.
apscalmato

Post by apscalmato »

Im new to this forum so please excuse me...

Sorry for replying on this old post, but since this post has resurfaced I thought it was interesting reading most of these comments...

Reading some of these comments ...." make my blood simmer"

There is nothing wrong with asking for help on a project, but I do agree the way he went about it was not the best way. Show works in progress... concepts, boards, pencil tests, animatics, anything to get people excitied.

Here is some advice I have learned so far in the animation industry. Sometimes helping out with projects lead to future paying jobs, but most of all it gives you the ability to collaborate and work with fellow artist who share the same passion as you do. It is a good way to learn, network, and open oppurtunities. If the job is not paying, then limit the time you commit.

Most of the user post's I have read on here does not have websites or demo reels. This would be a great oppurtunity to build up work for your reel.
He may be very knowledable in animation and could possibly help you improve. Whenever I get a break from freelance or my own personal work, I myself have offered to help with projects simply for the reasons I have stated above.

Hope this advice helps some.
Nice to meet everyone and keep animating!

apscalmato

http://apscalmato.com/animations/
http://WhenTheWorldGoesDark.com (Short Film) Trailer- Available
------------------------------------------------------
Emmy Award winning animator
11 Festival Awards, 20 Offical Selections
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hi apscalmato and welcome, I'm a little new too compared to some of the folk here.
OK so I may have been a little harsh.
As you would know many of us already spend plenty of time helping people and working for free, in fact in my neck of the woods you are more likely to be asked for a favour than to be offered a proper feewhich might explain my exasperation. I'm sure most people handy with a pencil around the world would know all about this. There comes a point when you when know which of these favours are just blatantly using you and there is no opportunity in reality. A better opportunity might be like the one I have tomorrow where I am to help for a small fee and the possibilities of future benefits are actually discussed another who will be there in the skeleton crew is the great cinematographer- and nice bloke too- Andrew Lesnie (name dropping sorry):wink:

This thread does say jobs though and DaVinci was frankly pretty cheeky by posting in the manner he did IMO. :?
Maybe starting a rapport first and sharing some of his vision or some such could have got him somewhere.

BTW I'd love to see your film -it certainly has attracted many accolades.

Underneath each persons posts is a little button with PM and WWW, often you will find links to sites there. 8) [/i]