High Def Resolution

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

High Def Resolution

Post by DK »

I was talking to a collegue today and he asked if AS could output High Definition resolution. Not just the widescreen aspect ratio but the High Def pixel resolution. I was'nt sure how to answer this but maybe someone on the forum could shed some light. Is there a need for a High Def resolution setting in the next version of AS?

D.K
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Just set up your project with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, and you will render high def video. ASpro doesn't need to be reprogrammed to do this.
DK

Post by DK »

I was told that the high def pixels are a different shape to the standard square pixels that we are rendering in.

D.K
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

DK wrote:I was told that the high def pixels are a different shape to the standard square pixels that we are rendering in.
the 1920x1080 format uses square pixels, it's the old standard PAL and NTSC formats that uses luminance pixels, i.e. non-square pixels.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

AS always renders square pixels. If you want something different, you have to load the result in a video application which is able to deal with that.
DK

Post by DK »

Ahhh....I understand now. Thanks guys for clearing that up.

D.K
jwlane

Color Space

Post by jwlane »

ASP seems to be able to render in any resolution you want. However, the color depth is, as far as I can tell, is only available at 8 bit per channel. The color space used by ASP is sRGBIEC61966-2.1. This doesn't seem to be any kind of drawback for renders that essentially look like cel animation.

16 and 32 bit per channel imaging is designed to maintain the clarity of beautifully shot motion picture film and HD equivalent footage. To see the TRUE tonal range of such footage, you'll need a professional HD monitor that's about $4600 for a 22 in. screen. These monitors are made for production facilities that work on feature films.

So, we have the resolution, but not the color depth of true HD.