is anime studio the best software for 2d animation ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority here (probably because I have no talent -- but more on this in a minute) but while I do believe a talented artist can create in any field, saying the tools don't matter is like saying you can build a car with a hammer and screwdriver. I suppose you CAN but doing it with the proper tools will be about a million times easier.

There's an old saying that if all you have is a hammer everthing looks like a nail -- the best thing about good software tools is that it gives you different ways of looking at things beyond those you might be traditionally comfortable with.

And coming back to the issue of talent -- I can't draw on paper very well at all (my stuff looks childish) but using tools like those available in AS I've created cartoon characters as good as anything my grandkids see on television. To me this is the clearest example of the triumph of technology over talent. Yes, someone talented can ALWAYS create using whatever -- but someone lacking in talent can use every little bit of help they can get.
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

mkelly wrote:
I do believe a talented artist can create in any field

While in general this is true, most artists I know will settle into a media that they feel comfortable in, (in fact they love it). Michelangelo could paint, write poetry, but he loved sculpturing. Leonardo de Vinci is well known for his painting but loved inventing more, to the point of having trouble finishing projects be began.

I'm a decent painter and publish a newletter for my science fiction club, but I love making animated cartoons.

Creativity is a special thing. It can transcend all form of art and is indifferent to the tools available. Once you have been ignited but the spark of creativity it won't matter if you have a piece of charcoal on a stone wall, or a super computer running the lastest version of Maya, you will create.

To those I've tried to teach how to draw, I have said, "I can teach you to draw, I can't teach you how to create."

FCSnow
Precise Planning And Timing
Never Suceeds Like Dump Luck.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

There is nothing magical about creativity. It is just being able to recognize patterns in our world and applying those to a particular medium. Creativity starts with observation. If you want to improve your creative skills, go back to the source, real life. Observe what goes on in your life and try to find a way to remember it (take notes).

Brad Bird isn't a particular good draftsman (well, he's probably a better draftsman than I am), but still, his imagination and how he translates what he has observed in his life into a project is astounding.

If you can only draw stickmen, you can still create an interesting story. However, if you can't tell a good story, even the best drawing skills in the world will not produce anything worthwhile watching.

Another tip: if you want people to feel good, let them see scenes of misery. They let them forget their own misery. Think about the world around you, what makes people "tick", read books by good authors, broaden your view on the world. People like things they recognize, and are excited when that what is familiar is shown somewhat differently, from a different perspective. It lets them learn something. People love learning.

I promise you, when you keep trying, you will improve. It is human nature, to want to improve oneself. Don't try to imitate someone else, because that will not lead to self-improvement. Instead, try to put more of yourself, what you know and feel, in your drawings, sculptures and creative products. At first, you will feel like you suck, but if you don't throw away your earlier products, you will see a gradual improvement over the months and years.

Having written that, look at the masters, try to find how they did it, what they had to do to come to this result. Many masters have to practice, and their practice drawings are often nothing like the end result. Nevertheless, it shows how they think and observe, and use their sketches to improve.

No-one is perfect, not even master draftsmen. They all had to practice. The only difference between them and us is, that they have a good visual memory and observe the world much better. These are all things you can practice and improve, perhaps not to the level of a master, but certainly to a much higher level.

Does that mean everyone can become a master draftsman? No, of course not. If you're born with a set of unique skills, such as good dexterity, deep concentration and intelligence, you have a head start, which is hard to catch up with. Also remember, that many master draftsman are of old age, because it takes a lifetime of observing and practice to become that efficient and excellent.

Also, remember, if you don't allow yourself to fail and suck, you will never learn anything, and don't improve. To improve, you have to experiment and try things you've never done before.

I hope my rant is appropriate and not too obnoxious.
temujin143

Post by temujin143 »

not at all.

very good insight.
EwanG

Post by EwanG »

Rasheed wrote:If you can only draw stickmen, you can still create an interesting story.
Assume you read XKCD then :D